Author Topic: Ohm questions  (Read 4759 times)

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
Re: Ohm questions
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 12:46:03 pm »
Small meaning under 5000 sq. ft.? That's a fairly large room, smaller than many bars, but not an arena, auditorium, many modern churches or an outdoor venue, which is where folded horns really shine. I can remember playing through 2 Acoustics in East Lansing many years ago. I couldn't hear much on stage (could feel it) but when the owner played, you could hear it at the other end of the quad....and around the block....and a few blocks over.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 10:36:17 am »
I didn't have a specific number in mind, but decidedly not an arena, auditorium, many modern churches or outdoor venues.

I like folded horns, but they have their limitations. They usually don't go particularly low, though that's true of most bass cabinets, and they are almost universally long throw speakers. Great for big rooms and outdoors, even ion long, narrow rooms if you're playing at one end and can fire it down the length, but not much good at all if you need a wide spread, as in most rooms smaller than the above-mentioned arenas, etc.
Isaac

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 06:43:49 pm »
Ah....as always, one must aquire a suitible combinations of cabinets, amps, cords and guitars in order to be fully prepared in any event or venue. Thanks Isaac, you just fueled my GAS! Think I need one of those...and maybe one of those...no, two! And like Bootsy, about a dozen 18's all lined up with 2X15's above and some 12" and 8" thrown in for good measure. And a roadie.....can't forget the roadie.