Author Topic: Solarus with 8ohm and 4ohm cabinets?  (Read 3156 times)

Offline Jagermonster

Solarus with 8ohm and 4ohm cabinets?
« on: January 07, 2010, 02:42:23 pm »
Hello all,

I searched around a ton on the forum, but can't seem to find a satisfactory answer to the following questions:

1.) Can I run a 4ohm cabinet off the "external speaker" jack ALONE, i.e., without anything plugged into the 8ohm jack? Some people say yes, others say no.

2.) Can I run my 4ohm cabinet off the "external speaker" jack and my 8ohm cabinet off the 8ohm jack simultaneously?

I am completely new to having a tube amp, so the discussions on this board are often over my head. Forgive me if you guys have answered this question a 100 times. Thanks for your help, I really really appreciate this site.

1971 Solarus
1980-something Beta Lead head

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Solarus with 8ohm and 4ohm cabinets?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 07:19:38 pm »
Hello all,

I searched around a ton on the forum, but can't seem to find a satisfactory answer to the following questions:

1.) Can I run a 4ohm cabinet off the "external speaker" jack ALONE, i.e., without anything plugged into the 8ohm jack? Some people say yes, others say no.

Yes.

2.) Can I run my 4ohm cabinet off the "external speaker" jack and my 8ohm cabinet off the 8ohm jack simultaneously?

No.

Old Sunns have 4, 8, and 16 ohm taps available from the OT. The two jacks are either wired 8 and 4, or 16 and 8 ohms, in parallel to each other. When both jacks are used they will default to the lower impedance.
If your amp is using the 8 and 4 ohm taps, the jacks will run a 4 ohm load using the "ext. speaker" jack, or an 8 ohm load from the primary jack, but default to the 4 ohm tap in parallel when both are used.
If you plug 8 ohm cabinets into each of the jacks, since they are wired in parallel they will present a 4 ohm load total to the 4 ohm output transformer tap.

Offline Jagermonster

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 02:47:58 pm »
Thanks for getting back to me. Kind of a bummer to know I can't use my 1x15 8ohm cab along with my 2x12.
1971 Solarus

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 04:11:28 pm »
Thanks for getting back to me. Kind of a bummer to know I can't use my 1x15 8ohm cab along with my 2x12.

Your 2 X 12 is probably two 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel (= 4 ohm load).
Rewire that speaker cab so the speakers are in series (= 16 ohm load).
Rewire the amp to the 16 & 8 ohm transformer taps.
You're In business!!

Offline Jagermonster

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 12:42:19 pm »
Asked my amp tech. He said, after looking at the schematic, that driving an 8ohm speaker cab and 4 ohm at the same time shouldn't be a problem since tube amps aren't "too sensitive" as far as speaker loads go. It'll just be three speakers wired in parallel for a total load of 2.667 ohms. Hopefully, this isn't a terrible idea. What do you guys think? Sounds sort of...crazy to me.

I'm waiting for my 15" speaker to show up in the mail. Soon as I have it wired up, I'll let you guys know if i explode anything. If I do, I hope EdBass tells me "I told you so."
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 01:56:06 pm by Jagermonster »
1971 Solarus

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 09:17:53 pm »
I'm not really a "I told you so" kinda guy.  :wink:  I kind of took your question #2 as asking if you could run off the 4 ohm and 8 ohm taps simultaneously by using the separate 4 and 8 ohm jacks.

Speaker impedance isn't an exacting science, not nearly as cut and dry as the ohm rating of a resistor for example, which is generally a <5% variance from the marked rating.
Speaker impedance ratings are "nominal"; for example an 8 ohm driver can fluctuate from just a couple of ohms to 100+ in actual use depending on frequency, power, cabinet, etc.

But, there is a reason that tube amps have output transformers, and a reason they are tapped off at specific impedances. The output transformer is used to match the load (speaker) impedance to the output stage impedance (tubes) for optimal performance.
A 2.67 ohm load on your amp probably won't cause any damage, your tech is right about tube amps being pretty flexible, but the mismatched load can hinder the amp from working up to it's design specification.

Which can be good or bad depending on what you are trying to accomplish. When I was a kid my goal was to be as loud as I could get, and using my basic high school electronics class skills I would hook up as many speakers as I could to whatever amp I could get my hands on with little regard for sound quality. I understood impedance, but took extensive liberties in pursuit of "loud".
Eventually I figured out that for me anyway, quality was a more desired attribute than quantity.
IMO it's easy to get loud, not so easy to sound good doing it.

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline Jagermonster

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 05:32:20 pm »
HAH! I always liked Jucifer but never took the time to read any interviews or look at any pictures. Obviously, I've been missing out.

Thanks for the help, guys.

My issue with the speakers has kind of worked itself out. I'm trading a friend my 8 ohm speakers for his 16 ohms.

The 2x12 will be a Hellatone 60 and a Warehouse ET65. The 1x15 will be a Weber Michigan. Both cabs will be 8 ohms.

I am really, really excited.
1971 Solarus