Author Topic: noel redding + sunn 2000s =  (Read 2118 times)

Offline sunn

noel redding + sunn 2000s =
« on: December 02, 1999, 02:20:00 am »
http://www.sunnamplifiers.com/misc/sunn_noel_2000s.jpg">

Thank you Stuart!

Offline mike

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 1999, 01:45:00 pm »
: Thank you Stuart!

Does anyone know how N.R.'s rig was set up? If he was only using two 120w 2000s heads, how could he run six cabs (as pictured)? Perhaps four were hooked up with two for backup if speakers were blown? What I'm most curious about is this--most 2x15 cabs are two 8ohm speakers wired in parallel for an end result of 4ohms. If you had two of these hooked up to a head, the load would be 2ohms--not very good for a tube amp--plus the sound would go to mush and distortion pretty quickly. Were the earlier 2000s cabs wired in series for 16ohms at the factory with the expectation that two of them would go with one head(with a safer 8ohm load)? I have two 2000s heads; an earlier model with tube rectifiers that has a 16ohm speaker output in addition to the 4 and 8, and a later(s.s. rectifier) that does not. I've seen a photo of Entwistle with the Who in the U.S. circa '67 using a 60w head with two of the regular sized 2x15 cabs (200s/Sorado) and I can't imagine, for all the reputation they had for being so loud, how that set-up could move that much air! Plus the cabs weren't miked up for the P.A. as far as I could tell. Does anyone have any experiences(no pun intended) seeing J.H. or the Who back then before amps went through the P.A., or have any technical knowledge, tips or pointers? I've been told that wiring bass speakers for 16ohms is not that good of an idea as some low frequencies get rolled off from capacitance. Any thoughts? Conrad?

Offline sunn

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 1999, 11:18:00 pm »
Just going by what I've got up on the page now, it looks like some Sunn cabs with 2 speakers are rigged for 8Ohms. Which means 2 plugged in brings it down to 4 ohms.
I don't know what cabs those are in particular but they could be 2x??" at 8ohms/cab?

Just a thought.

: : Thank you Stuart!

: Does anyone know how N.R.'s rig was set up? If he was only using two 120w 2000s heads, how could he run six cabs (as pictured)? Perhaps four were hooked up with two for backup if speakers were blown? What I'm most curious about is this--most 2x15 cabs are two 8ohm speakers wired in parallel for an end result of 4ohms. If you had two of these hooked up to a head, the load would be 2ohms--not very good for a tube amp--plus the sound would go to mush and distortion pretty quickly. Were the earlier 2000s cabs wired in series for 16ohms at the factory with the expectation that two of them would go with one head(with a safer 8ohm load)? I have two 2000s heads; an earlier model with tube rectifiers that has a 16ohm speaker output in addition to the 4 and 8, and a later(s.s. rectifier) that does not. I've seen a photo of Entwistle with the Who in the U.S. circa '67 using a 60w head with two of the regular sized 2x15 cabs (200s/Sorado) and I can't imagine, for all the reputation they had for being so loud, how that set-up could move that much air! Plus the cabs weren't miked up for the P.A. as far as I could tell. Does anyone have any experiences(no pun intended) seeing J.H. or the Who back then before amps went through the P.A., or have any technical knowledge, tips or pointers? I've been told that wiring bass speakers for 16ohms is not that good of an idea as some low frequencies get rolled off from capacitance. Any thoughts? Conrad?

Offline Conrad Sundholm

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 1999, 01:41:00 am »
: Thank you Stuart!

Hey Guys, notice the cabinet in the right hand corner of the photograph!  This is the PA system we designed for the Beach Boys.  In the factory it was known as the "Beach Boy PA".  It featured 2 JBL D130's and a JBL ring radiator bullet super tweeter in a 200S cabinet on the bottom.  The separate cabinet on the top utilized the JBL 375 High Frequency driver with the "Gold Lens" mounted on the horn.  This was an amazing sounding PA system for that period.

Conrad

Offline Entwistlefan#1

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2002, 10:28:00 pm »
I think if you take two 4-ohm speakers and wire them in series, the total cabinet output is 8 ohms. The 2x15 cabs in the Noel Redding photo as well as a lot of other 2x15 cabs are this way, I think.

Offline Bill Matthews

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2002, 10:52:00 pm »
Or it could be 2 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel, which would also bring the ohmage to 8 ohms.
May ALL your days be SUNN-Y days