Author Topic: Mesa Cab Clone Build  (Read 5780 times)

Offline alotawatts

Mesa Cab Clone Build
« on: December 16, 2011, 10:18:35 am »
Not SUNN looking ......but I cloned my 1-15 Mesa Boogie ported cab that was made from EV blueprints.
They are only 19-+ in wide so they need to be stacked sideways for my 200s head that is 24in wide.
Added a xover and tweeter to help keyboards.

http://telexlegacy.com/archives/EV/Builders%20Plans/TL606%20Builders%20Plans.pdf

« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 12:17:36 pm by EdBass »

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
Re: Mesa Cab Clone Build
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 06:12:17 pm »
That's a tried and true design by renowned speaker designer D. B. Keele Jr. Works very well.

I wonder about making a side by side 2x15 version. Probably too heavy. Did you use an Electrovoice speaker? How much does it weigh?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 06:26:13 pm by loudthud »

Offline ROCKETBRO2

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 03:16:51 pm »
I like the "removable port" idea and may apply it to my 115 project (I thought it was complete).
73 CONCERT BASS,215 ORION

Offline alotawatts

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 10:42:40 am »
I wonder about making a side by side 2x15 version. Probably too heavy. Did you use an Electrovoice speaker? How much does it weigh?
One 2 /15 cab would weigh a ton. This Mesa Diesel series has an EV15 L.  Ribbed cone (for her pleasure) supports the higher frequencies. When I took this photo I had the EV15L swapped out in the Mesa with an Eminence driver. My clone has an EV15B with a Selenium tweeter. With the cabs side by side or stacked on their sides the ports are coupled together...same joy a 2-15 cab.....half the weight.

http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Speakers/EDS/EVM-15L%20Series%20II%20EDS.pdf
http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Speakers/EDS/EVM-15B%20Series%20II%20EDS.pdf
 :-)

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 11:22:14 am »
That's a tried and true design by renowned speaker designer D. B. Keele Jr. Works very well.

The TL606 is probably the most knocked off bass cab in history, and for good reason.
A tried and true excellent all around full range bass guitar cab, I wouldn't personally muck it up with a compression driver but to each his own...  :-D
Reeves has the Trace Elliot version of the TL606 that we used for comparision when testing designs for the Reeves 115 cab.

This is half of the speaker compliment of EV TL606's my buddy Chris uses for his live rig, with one of his EVM loaded 215S cabs on top. That's the Reeves 400 watt prototype sitting on it, but he drives his personal rig with SVT's; and runs them wide open.
Instant, permanent hearing damage without ear protection but kinda fun if you are prepared!

Offline alotawatts

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 04:58:52 pm »
I wouldn't personally muck it up with a compression driver but to each his own...
It's a must (for me) for keyboards....has an L-PAD on the back.