Author Topic: Sunn amp prices  (Read 4123 times)

Offline george

Sunn amp prices
« on: July 11, 2012, 04:35:04 pm »
Seems like Sunn SS amps like the Beta series are actually worth about the same as the 40-60W tube models (the Beta "preamps" series are stupidly expensive). Even the Concert series are getting into the $300-400 range. It almost feels like the 40 - 60W Sunn tube amps have recently dropped a bit in price.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Sunn amp prices
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 07:00:53 am »
I think the two output tube Sunns have been hanging out in the $450 - $550 for a while now, maybe a year or more. I don't pay a lot of attention to the transistor amps, but a quick scan of ebay sales looks like they are in the $350 - $400 range, which I think is higher than they have been in the past.
I do remember when Concert series regularly brought $100 - $200 and it doesn't seem like it was all that long ago.

A Coliseum 880 recently went for $1000, but one sale could always be an anomaly. That sounds like a BUNCH of money for an old transistor Sunn to me.

I've also noticed that Betas seem to often bring more money than I think they should, and as you say the preamps sometimes bring stupid money.

Of course, about 20 years ago $500 would have bought you a truckload of old Sunns, both transistor and tube! If I only had a time machine...

Offline george

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 10:07:39 am »
Another data point I watch are the auctions/sales of footswitches - again the beta FS are always out there as far a price. One just sold on ePay and it looks like we are in the +$100 domain again. I guess the aftermarket FS prices also drive up or at least raise the "average"$$ of these types of sales.

Is it just me or am I seeing more "stomp box" auctions that advertise Sunn SS preamp designs being used or emulated? Can you say junction FET?

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 04:00:49 pm »
Is it just me or am I seeing more "stomp box" auctions that advertise Sunn SS preamp designs being used or emulated? Can you say junction FET?

I hope they aren't using the Coliseum preamp. The Concert is a much better sounding preamp with a conventional "tone stack" EQ. The Beta preamp is also nice because of the active gain and CMOS distortion.