Author Topic: WON THAT CAB!!!  (Read 26518 times)

Offline pickinatit

Re: WON THAT CAB!!!
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2007, 10:52:51 am »
Well,  my money order ended up coming back to me via "Return to Sender"
back on March 1st.  (31 days after I mailed it).  By March 3rd I had it back on it's way (to the correct address this time) and today I got word that  it finally arrived in Indianapolis yesterday (9 days from New Jersey).
Man, is snail mail always that pathetic ?

Anyway,  the seller is supposed to cash the Money Order and send the cab on it's way today, finally.  I am eagerly awaiting the tracking number.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2007, 01:59:32 pm »
Good luck!
Isaac

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2007, 08:57:10 pm »
I got my fingers crossed that they are JBL's.....let us know.

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2007, 07:09:58 am »
Well, after some trials and tribulations, the cab finally arrived.

The good news first....The outside of the cab is in pretty good condition and should clean up pretty well.  The grille cloth is very dingy/dirty and has a few small holes in it but not really bad.   What's the best way to try to clean it up before I go the replacement route ?

Bad News....the speakers are NOT JBL's.  They are Peavey Black widows.  (This is not really real bad news.  I need to research them to determine wattage, but should be able to use them as part of my 1200S rig).  One of them sounds great, the other not so good, pretty muddy and distorted.

The inside of the cab has had a weird shaped hole cut out of the horizontal baffle board behind the top speaker, I guess to facilitate the speaker replacement.
And isn't the 200S cab supposed to have a continuous horizontal port across the front between the two speakers?   

I will  Post pics  tonight  so you can see what I've got. 

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2007, 08:06:17 am »
FINALLY!!!
Congratulations! Good things come the those who wait...

Offline beemrmax

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2007, 01:22:05 pm »
IMO, don't replace the grille cloth. Why do you think people are paying ridiculous $$$ for Fender's "relic" guitars? People love that look, and besides... IMO again, if you do that, you're just spending $$$ to devaluate it.

I'm pretty adept when it comes to restoring, actually just cleaning, gluing, etc. Bringing back what is there, not putting something new on, so I'll share my trick for cleaning grille cloths with you.

Oven cleaner!

STOPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!! Just kidding!!!  :evil:

In all seriousness, but still at your own risk, this has worked for me in the past.

1st I have to ask... Are you single or is your significant other tolerating of strange abuses of the bathtub related to mid winter restorations of whatever? I once spent a week working on an old set of racing wheels in the tub, one at a time, on an upside down milkcrate of course to not damage or scratch the tub, I spent couple days on each one, stripping a few coats of race car paint overspray and polishing them... I would have much preferred doing that job outside, but it’s a lot more pleasant inside in mid January…

Back to the grille cloth. Put in the tub or shower, don’t get it wet yet and spray the crap out of it with 409 or similar, Simple Green might work even better but I'm not crazy about the smell. Use something that's fairly harmless, and that you like the smell of.

Grunge, old nicotine, bar grease, cat pee and whatever else will just run off of it and down the drain. Let is sit a few minutes, spray it some more til the dirt quits running out, then rinse it with some nice warm or hot water, works much better of course if you have a handheld shower wand on a hose... Actually, if you don't have that, you can't rinse it properly.

Let it drain down and dry if off as quickly as possible (pat it dry with some towels, one in each hand against the grille cloth, don’t be rough with it) so that the wood frame doesn't warp or split. You’ll have a beautifully grille cloth, and sometimes you can sort of weave the material back together around the snags with a pair of tweezers.

The reason I don't do this outside, although you could is because.... Hmmmm? I like doing it in the tub and I know something (yes I'm paranoid) isn't going to come along and steal it or destroy it while it's outside if it's left unattended and I definitely recommend rinsing with warm water and getting all of the cleaner out.

Just be ready for some derision coming from other family members who might already be questioning your sanity anyway, who knows...

;-)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 05:03:16 pm by beemrmax »

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2007, 02:05:04 pm »
IMO, don't replace the grille cloth. Why do you think people are paying ridiculous $$$ for Fender's "relic" guitars? People love that look, and besides... IMO again, if you do that, you're just spending $$$ to devaluate it.

Oh I want to clean it not replace it.  I only mentioned that as an absolutely last resort.  But when you see the pics of this cab's insides, well, I have a feeling there isn't much original about it anymore.

I really appreciate the advise for cleaning it.

Anyone else have  any different method / process/ cleaning agent that they use?   The bathtub  method is do-able for me if I pick my time carefully enough.

Offline beemrmax

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2007, 02:32:22 pm »
Are you in Britain? "Advise" begs the question?

Glad to hear you won't rush to replace the original out.

I would try to find as mild but effective cleaner that you can find, some of the citrus stuff is very good also. Stay away from the harsher products that tend to get your lungs, and the ones that contain bleach.

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2007, 04:50:24 pm »
Just take the time it needs, I cleaned mine a bit at a time with Simple Green, 409 and a coupla of other cleaners. Once I was tired of cleaning, I used a automotive vinyl restorer....coupla coats, lightly.....came out great.

Good advise on the grill though I would be hesitant to really wet the wood down....if it warps...you'll be replacing it or putting in screws.

Offline beemrmax

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2007, 05:02:00 pm »
Well, the whole process on the grille shouldn't much more than 10-15 minutes, and there's not much chance of the wood getting waterlogged in that short amount of time. A lot of blotting with some nice clean towels and it should be nearly dry, some gentle hair dryer-ing afterwards might not hurt also. Make sure that you have the appropriate (SUNN related) music on the stereo (preferably vintage Pioneer, Sansui or similar...) while you're doing this...

Again, watch out for those other people around you who think the bathroom (and it's associated accessories) are strictly for personal uses, besides... what's more personal than bonding with your amp?

:-)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 07:47:55 pm by beemrmax »

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2007, 09:14:53 pm »

Attached is a picture of the cab.

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2007, 09:22:55 pm »
Additional pictures, inside views.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2007, 08:15:13 am »
Well, it looks as though it used to be a 200S cabinet.

How does it sound?
Isaac

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2007, 04:42:34 am »
Well, it looks as though it used to be a 200S cabinet.

How does it sound?

FROM A PREVIOUS POST:
Bad News....the speakers are NOT JBL's.  They are Peavey Black widows.  (This is not really real bad news.  I need to research them to determine wattage, but should be able to use them as part of my 1200S rig).  One of them sounds great, the other not so good, pretty muddy and distorted.

The cabinet itself seems to sound ok although it's difficult to tell because of the one bad speaker.

Does anyone have a photo of what the inside of this cab SHOULD look like?
Or a schematic?