Author Topic: Tolex  (Read 2974 times)

Offline Bill Matthews

Tolex
« on: June 24, 2001, 11:02:00 am »
I just received a cabinet from a friend of mine, who thought it was a Fender Bassman.  After closer examination, I saw the tolex on the back was different than the sides, and the back tolex is Sunn, the same as all my 60's Sunns.  I took the tolex off of the bottom, and low and behold the Sunn tolex was underneath. The problem I am having is that on the top, and both of the sides the Sunn tolex is NOT underneath.  I need to find some, anyone have any for sale?  Also I would like to know what model this cabinet is.  The dimentions are 40 tall 24 wide, and 15 deep.  To make matters worse, there is no grillecloth, and the baffleboard has been HACKED, so hacked that it must be replaced.  I need to know what the speaker compliment was ( I'm hoping it was a 2-15" cab) I would appreciate ANY help thanks Bill
May ALL your days be SUNN-Y days

Offline jon

Tolex
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2001, 08:53:00 pm »
As far as what cabinet this is....I have a few this size but without knowing what your hacked up speakerboard held it's hard to say exactly. Most likely it held two 15-inch speakers...JBL d130's or D140's depending on what head it was originally paired with. However, it could also be an early 70s guitar cab. I have one the same size that has 6x10 in it. SUNN also made a 6x12 but I'm not sure if it was the same size.

As far as the later cabs 6x10 or 6x12...those had metal label tags on the upper rear side corner. So, see if there is (or was) one screwed on or holes are there. If so, that would be a clue...also I believe the handles on those would be more leather-ish than just vinyl over metal.

If it's the earlier 2x15 cab the handles are the vinyl over metal type. This earlier type would also have eight screws with the threads pointing outward from the face...this is where the missing grill frame would have been screwed on from inside the cab via removing the rear panel.

If it's the 6x1o type later cab the grill only attaches via velcro type stickum thingies in eight or so places on the front.

Hope this helps...

Offline Ryan Phelps

Tolex
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2001, 12:35:00 am »
Bill;
Just to add to the confusion, I have a 3x12, 4x12 amd 2x15 cabs that have those same dimensions. The 4x12 dates to 1968 and has a removable back. The 3x12 and 2x15 date to the early-mid 70's and the speakers install from the front (i.e. the back is not removable). Sunn also used Vega and Magna speakers in their 2x15 cabs over the years as well as JBLs.

Ryan

Offline Bill Matthews

Tolex
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2001, 09:29:00 pm »
UPDATE... The cab originally came with 2-15" speakers with two 3" ports, and the date on the back cover ( oddly it was on top of one of the braces ) is 1975.  Also as I mentioned, I NEED TOLEX for this cab.  It is done in Fender stuff now, but I WILL restore this cab.  Just one more thing, has anyone looked at the covering that Harry Joyce is using on his new heads?, I would SWEAR it was the same thing as the old Sunn stuff, any comments?
May ALL your days be SUNN-Y days

Offline mike

Tolex
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2001, 10:52:00 am »
Smart Parts in Chicago(www.partssmart.com)is an authorized Fender after-market replacement parts dealer; since Fender had manufactured the reissue Sunns(with the appropriate Tolex, '69-style grille cloth, unique metal corners, etc.)S.P. should have the stuff.  They did list Sunn on their main page, but no details...I once emailed them about what they might have, and the only response I got was something like, "well, what do you want?".  So, between that wiseass answer and the possibility that Fender has stopped manufacturing Sunn(is that confirmed?)I would quickly but cautiously approach them about what they might have left...good luck!

Offline wil

Tolex
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2001, 06:47:00 pm »
in reply to your forum I do know of a website where you can get grillcloth. Its url
is http://www.fentonmusic.com good luck!

Offline wil

Tolex
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2001, 12:38:00 pm »
Hello,
write to Partssmart@aol.com and tell them that you are looking for Sunn tolex. I did and they told me a roll 36" by 51" is $15. Good luck!

wil.