Author Topic: second gen model t?  (Read 1967 times)

Offline giovanni

second gen model t?
« on: November 07, 2006, 08:21:53 am »
my second gen model t has the mid range select, yet the specs for a first gen.  It is an 'early '75 model.

Is it possible that my head was manufactured in a transisitonal phase where the cosmetics were changed (red knobs and faceplate) but the guts were left intact sans the adding of the midrange boost?
Kind of like the transisiton fender did with the black face and silver face models.

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
Re: second gen model t?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 02:37:16 pm »

No.

You can't have the midboost without the "guts" being changed.

Two easy checks you can make...

Does your amp sound louder with the master volume control on "8" than it does at "10"?

With the mid boost control at "0", can you hear a change in sound when you change the frequency switch.

If the answer is No to either question, then your amp has been modified.  If the answer is yes to either, then you have a true second generation.

Besides, Fender never issued an amp with non-functional controls - which is what you are suggesting Sunn did with your amp.

Offline giovanni

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 12:47:26 pm »
no as well.  i guess my amp was modified before i got it.

also i was talking about the cosmetic changes, the mid selector does function, but all the other issues i read about the second generation having, my amp doesn't have.  soooooo, i have concluded my amp was modified before i received it, or i got some sort of bastard head, which i don't see as all that improbable as these heads were not obviously cranked out on an assembly line...  maybe?

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 02:45:55 pm »

I'd put my money on intentional modification after initial purchase.

The people that build the amps are not the ones that design them, and yes they are pretty much assembly-line assembled.

If an assembler does happen to accidently use the wrong part or make an incorrect connection, QA testing will usually detect it easily.

It would be extremely rare for an assembler to make a mistake, QA not to detect it, AND for that mistake to be better than the original design. 

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 04:43:36 pm »
There is always the possibility that someone at a music retailer changed the knobs and logo to make the head match a speaker cabinet that was in stock. More than likely things just changed when the parts ran out at the factory. I've seen examples of new (R) logo's and old grill cloth from the mid-69 changeover.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 07:56:10 pm »
My Model T is second gen, with mid boost, but I have the older silver knobs and logo plate. Not everything got changed over at the same time.
Isaac