Author Topic: Original replacement part - SPST neon lighted switches for 80's SUNN gear  (Read 2728 times)

Offline Watson

• House Kustoms Guitars and Amps
Not advertised related to Sunn gear but this is the original part and is available from several sources.  This one is an eBay seller. The manufacturer is Dreefs and the switch is a model T100.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281128509516?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

In my case the on-off switch on my Enforcer amp finally failed but this same switch is also in other gear from that timeframe.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 01:59:49 pm by Watson »

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
Re: Original replacement part - SPST neon lighted switches for 80's SUNN gear
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 10:48:20 pm »
Please measure the hole that the switch fits in (with the switch removed). The Dreefs switch looks about the same size at the one for Beta amps, but they could be slightly different and incompatible. Take a look at this thread: http://sunnforum.ampage.org/index.php/topic,5436.msg21997.html#msg21997

Offline Watson

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 08:28:16 am »
Sure thing. 

I know the Dreefs switch is the original switch used in the Enforcer since the failed switch I removed is labeled Dreefs (see pictures) as are the other two switches that are still working (standby and 60W/100W).

The holes in my Enforcer chassis measure 1 1/8" X 35/64", in metric 28.55mm X 13.98mm and in decimal 1.124" X .55".

I've attached pictures of the both sides of the failed switch. It is marked Dreefs T100. I also checked the standby and the 60W/100W switch and they are the same. I'll replace all three since I have it open. I attached photos of the caliper readings with the cutout dimensions from the chassis opening.

If the switch you replaced in your Beta amp was not marked Dreefs then it appears that Sunn must have used more than one brand of switch during that period.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 09:29:59 am by Watson »

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 12:29:22 pm »
Thanks for verifying the measurements. The switch in my Beta says Carling on it. The actuator is curved unlike the Dreefs switch. You would think that a switch rated 25 Amps (like the Dreefs) would never fail, maybe it just wore out.

Offline Watson

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 01:18:38 pm »
You are quite right, I wouldn't have thought it would fail.  It failed in the ON position too which isn't what I would have expected although I guess I don't know why I would have favored OFF vs. ON.  Maybe it arced and stuck closed?

The switch's MTBF was rated at 20,000 cycles I think from what I read.  Maybe this poor amp was used more before I got it that I can imagine.

Also seems clear there was more than one vendors products used in that period. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 05:16:39 pm by Watson »