Author Topic: Possible to revamp the Sunn Museum?  (Read 8520 times)

Offline biltmore

• The Sound Choice
Possible to revamp the Sunn Museum?
« on: January 11, 2011, 10:38:04 am »
I'm guessing Isaac or loudthud should be able to answer this one for me.

Is it possible to revamp the museum section of the website? It's in dire need of fixing up. We could always make a photobucket account to host the pictures on, that way it saves $$$ on bandwidth costs. We're also missing proper descriptions on some of the amps too.

If it's not possible to revamp the museum, I'm probably going to pick up the torch myself and start building my own Sunn museum and start asking for people here to submit high-res photos and info about their amps. We really could use a more robust page for each amplifier with better pictures and descriptions. It pains me to see the museum in the state that it's currently in.

What do you think?

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
Re: Possible to revamp the Sunn Museum?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 11:03:01 am »
i'm more than happy to take some close ups of my 2g model t inside and out i would add you can always put a donate thing up so people with paypal can throw a dollar at it
1975 Sunn model T
2007Crate Blue voodoo BV 120(mercury magnetics upgraded)
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Creepy fingers harakiri superfuzz
Creepy fingers doomidrive
Earthbound Audio supercollider
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 11:07:01 am »
just adding to bitmores we could do a member of the month type thing? or facebook page?
1975 Sunn model T
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline biltmore

• The Sound Choice
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 11:29:17 am »
There is a Sunn Facebook page (just in case some of you don't know):

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunn-Amps/22944154630

Offline warandhairstyle

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 12:38:16 pm »
There's a great model # matrix at the Acoustic site...  something along these lines for Sunn would be really helpful, IMO - great for researching and comparing models.  Each model number is a hyperlink to it's own page featuring (if available) full specs, larger photos, catalog scans for that model, etc. which could be a cross reference to theoretical museum pages...?

http://acoustic.homeunix.net/twiki/bin/view/Acoustic/SolidStateInstrumentAmplifiersPart1
When life gives you lemons, buy amplifiers.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 01:49:14 pm »
What you folks probably don't know is that this site was "toast" a few years ago, and Tboy (at his own expense, time and effort) bailed the Discussion Forum out at the last minute. AFAIK he still pays for the bandwidth out of pocket and does the maintenance. I was kind of relieved when I noticed some advertising on the site, hopefully he’s recouping something for his efforts.
I have no “inside information”, however I don't think the Museum, Schematics, Brochures, Catalogs, etc. sections were part of that "deal". I'm pretty sure those sections are just kind of hanging out; I know nothing has been added or deleted from them in several years.
I agree it would be pretty cool, although I don't think it's fair to expect him to reopen those sections for our amusement.
I have original factory schematics of all of the Sundholm era amps, and factory parts lists for many as well, and have asked him myself about adding things to those sections, but haven't got an answer.
Which is perfectly fine with me; I'm still just grateful that he bailed the forum out.  :wink:

Keep in mind; unlike an easily moderated open forum, to be done right those sections would need to be selectively edited as well as moderated. For example; how many Model T or Beta Lead pictures does a “museum” section need, anyway? And, with that in mind, whose gets featured and whose doesn’t make the cut?
It costs to host those pics; if contributors use photobucket or other services they could go away and leave gaping holes in the section, and as I said it would take someone’s time to maintain. One look at the "Sunn rigs of doom" thread, or for that matter most of the “bands” section, is a good example of how a "wide open" un-moderated "museum" section could turn into a self promoting cluster **** in a very short time.

Someone could always start a “Model T pictures” thread, or a “Beta Series” thread, etc; look at the effort loudthud put into the “catalog” thread to make it an extremely valuable Sunn resource.

If Tboy wanted to go even deeper into his resources to re-activate those sections, the site would certainly be the better for it IMO, but again, I for one am just grateful that he kept the site from imploding, and forcing someone else to start from scratch, and losing all the valuable information posted prior to 2007 or so in the process.

Offline biltmore

• The Sound Choice
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 02:05:21 pm »
I certainly don't expect Tboy to do anything. I've offered to help out before with the site but haven't ever gotten a reply. It's certainly awesome that Tboy has paid for this place out of his own pocket. I'm extremely grateful for it, as I'm sure many of us are. I've said for a while that I'd love to donate if it helps keep the site online, but Tboy is mostly absent around these parts and I've never gotten a reply.

So there's probably no way the guy could revamp the museum, and that means building a new one off-site. And building one from scratch, using the information provided here wouldn't be too hard really. It most certainly wouldn't be hard to keep it up to date, as Sunn is a dead company.

For one, hosting photos on Photobucket is EASY. Been doing it for years now. Haven't had a problem with their service. For photos: Take a high-res picture of your amp and submit. 1 well lit picture of the front and 1 well lit picture of the back is all you need. I don't think anyone would get butthurt for their picture not being used. I think we all would love to have a museum of every single piece of Sunn equipment. Wouldn't we? Hell, even schematics would be wonderful thing to tie to it. And you'd bet your bottom dollar that everyone who submits stuff would get props for their submissions, no matter what the content.

You know, I'll just draft something up drop a link on here in a couple of days and maybe we can go from there.

One thing is for certain. This place will not be around forever, and that's why I have saved nearly everything off of this website for future keeping. That information is way too valuable to lose, and it would be disrespectful to those who had worked for Sunn and shared an enthusiasm for making these wonderful pieces of equipment to let all of this disappear one day.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 02:12:25 pm by biltmore »

Offline biltmore

• The Sound Choice
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 02:13:17 pm »
There's a great model # matrix at the Acoustic site...  something along these lines for Sunn would be really helpful, IMO - great for researching and comparing models.  Each model number is a hyperlink to it's own page featuring (if available) full specs, larger photos, catalog scans for that model, etc. which could be a cross reference to theoretical museum pages...?

http://acoustic.homeunix.net/twiki/bin/view/Acoustic/SolidStateInstrumentAmplifiersPart1

That is a wonderful site!!! That's the kind of setup we need. Something beefy like that.

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 07:07:57 pm »
The Ampage site, which is really tboys main focus AFAIK, has a Gallery feature where members can post pictures and build albums. There is also a button where you can donate via PayPal and become a Supporting Member which lets you take up a little more disk space. There is also the Ampix site where a lot of schematics are posted.

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 09:11:38 pm »
whats the ampage link? and i didnt know all of this but thankyou Tboy i would gladly donate some extra cash spare change when i can if you where to put a donate button up
1975 Sunn model T
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 09:52:28 am »
Ampage has been through alot of changes over the years. At one time it was real simple, I think tboy might have written the code that the site ran on, but now it runs on vBulletin.

It's mostly about tube amp building, vintage amp repair and modification with areas for stomp boxes and pickup winders. There used to be a "front end" on the site but I don't know where it is now. Here's a link to where I jump in. If you're not a member or have the right cookies on your computer, it might kick you out or ask you to register. Try your user name and password you use here, it might work.

http://music-electronics-forum.com/