Author Topic: '65 sunn "smiley face" amp!!!  (Read 4999 times)

Offline D(o)))(((o)M

'65 sunn "smiley face" amp!!!
« on: December 14, 2009, 10:00:25 pm »
wtf? who is this guy check out his other auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320462871858

Hes got some sweet amps all of which are in non-working condition!?... how frustrating oh well he'll probably sell these non working units for way way too much on ebay! how extremely frustrating... check out his sorado as well modded sloppily out for two extra 6550's... BEWARE though he is a tinkerer and these amps look fraudulent and beyond repair or that they require repairs that will cost more than they are worth... i for one am impressed by the piece of sunn history that is the smiley face head... how freaking nuts is that!?

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: '65 sunn "smiley face" amp!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 09:18:46 am »
wtf? who is this guy check out his other auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320462871858

Hes got some sweet amps all of which are in non-working condition!?... how frustrating oh well he'll probably sell these non working units for way way too much on ebay! how extremely frustrating... check out his sorado as well modded sloppily out for two extra 6550's... BEWARE though he is a tinkerer and these amps look fraudulent and beyond repair or that they require repairs that will cost more than they are worth... i for one am impressed by the piece of sunn history that is the smiley face head... how freaking nuts is that!?

Fraudulent?  :? I'd say they are definitely old Sunns, and an old handwired tube amp is never "beyond repair" IMO. The most expensive thing is the transformers, and even those are readily available from Mercury and Triode. Except for trannies and tubes, the other components are relatively cheap.
It just looks like old amps that need some TLC to be brought back to full glory for the most part. I have a pile of them sitting in my shop also, I'll get around to them eventually... :roll:
Who knows where the Sorado came from, but it looks like the iron is correct for the four output tubes. I've been tempted to do a similar mod, but don't really want to hack up a vintage chassis. I love the 2000S but that 30" wide box is very unwieldy, a 200S sized head cabinet with 2000S power would be much easier to deal with, and look better on top of a wider variety of cabinets.
I might have to follow that one on eBay; it's "pre-hacked" so I wouldn't have to feel bad about it...  :wink:

Offline djc

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 08:03:34 pm »
considering what I paid for my wreck and brought it back tolife, those are in good shape and not bad prices.  last time I saw a 1200s it went high.    :-o like scary high.  these seem reasonable.  but we'll wait for the end result.

Offline HRobert

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 09:05:07 pm »
One has to watch when buying on eBay.  I bought a 67 Sentura II from a guy that said it was in great condition. Yea right!!!  I paid $525 including shipping....and now after having to invest investing another $300 in the head, it's now working right.

Buyer be ware!!

Offline D(o)))(((o)M

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 10:35:45 pm »
exactlt one must be very careful when b uying used gear on ebay I bought 2 avatar cabinets from a guy in Virginia I drove 3 hours to pick them up and the guy would'nt let me test them... so it was no deal.... no doubt the heads were vintage sunn gear but shipping them without tubes not even seperately was fishy to me among other things... seems like the guy had a bunch of nonworking heads and wanted to unload them for unreasonable prices (take adavantage of ebay buyers)... Whatever though I don't care just picked up 2 2000s heads in perfect working condition the only heads i'll ever need!!! I did pay 3500 for both but whatever!!!

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 10:07:32 am »
exactlt one must be very careful when b uying used gear on ebay I bought 2 avatar cabinets from a guy in Virginia I drove 3 hours to pick them up and the guy would'nt let me test them... so it was no deal.... no doubt the heads were vintage sunn gear but shipping them without tubes not even seperately was fishy to me among other things... seems like the guy had a bunch of nonworking heads and wanted to unload them for unreasonable prices (take adavantage of ebay buyers)... Whatever though I don't care just picked up 2 2000s heads in perfect working condition the only heads i'll ever need!!! I did pay 3500 for both but whatever!!!

$3500 US Dollars?  :-o

Uhmmm... by chance, are you looking for another pair of 2000S heads? How are you fixed for 2000S cabinets, for, let's say, $1500 apiece?
You can test them to your heart's content; just remember to bring the CASH!  :roll:

One has to watch when buying on eBay.  I bought a 67 Sentura II from a guy that said it was in great condition. Yea right!!!  I paid $525 including shipping....and now after having to invest investing another $300 in the head, it's now working right.

Buyer be ware!!

No doubt. It's a tough thing to buy a 40+ yr old amp sight unseen, and add to that the fact that one person's "great condition" can be another persons "basket case"!  
On the positive hand now you have what you wanted, performing like you wanted it to, and since they aren't making '67 Sentura II's anymore in the long run the extra cash will become less significant.
IMO, of course. :wink:

Which kind of brings me to a thread I'm starting...

http://sunn.ampage.org/sdp/index.php/topic,4961.0.html
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 11:55:28 am by EdBass »