Author Topic: Amp Clip Comparison; Including some LOUD and Dirty  (Read 3905 times)

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Amp Clip Comparison; Including some LOUD and Dirty
« on: May 12, 2011, 08:49:34 pm »
I thought this might be interesting. It’s a heads up comparison between one of my 2000S’s, a vintage SVT, a Reeves C225 ( http://www.reevesamps.com/custom225.htm ), and a Morgan MP200 (http://www.morganamps.com/amps/mp200/mp200.php ). I think I posted some of the clips earlier, but it’s nice to have them all in one place.

There are examples of them cranked into power tube saturation; “Fuzz Clips”, except the Reeves, because the circuit stays pretty clean right up to the point that the KT88’s just turn to undefined mush, and examples of all the amps clean with Jazz and P Basses.
No pedals, no effects, straight into the amps; all using a pair of EVM15L’s and a pair EVM15B’s, the L’s in a 215S cabs and the B’s in TL606 cabs. It’s a pretty good example of some iconic big tube bass amps at big SPL through four 15’s IMO.

Anyway here’s the link to the clips;
http://soundcloud.com/fu22ba55/sets

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
Re: Amp Clip Comparison; Including some LOUD and Dirty
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 07:54:33 am »
very good work!

what mic is used?

I should make some too, plug straight in.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 08:09:37 am by chev »
Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 09:12:22 am »
I don't know what mics he used, I was just the amp donor for the project. I don't really have the patience for projects like this, to me it's about as exciting as watching chicken defrost. I've probably literally logged years in studio over the last few decades, but unless I'm getting paid I try to avoid it.  :wink:
I'm more of a "live" player.
I know he used a a cab mic and a room mic though. I think we are getting together this weekend to test a new prototype, I'll ask him what he used and let you know.

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 10:11:01 am »
I don't know what mics he used, I was just the amp donor for the project. I don't really have the patience for projects like this, to me it's about as exciting as watching chicken defrost. I've probably literally logged years in studio over the last few decades, but unless I'm getting paid I try to avoid it.  :wink:
I'm more of a "live" player.
I know he used a a cab mic and a room mic though. I think we are getting together this weekend to test a new prototype, I'll ask him what he used and let you know.

yeah it's all good, I prefer just playing then doing test clip myself...

the room mic is essential to capture the high SPL.

thanks
Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 10:20:06 am »
Very helpful comparisons! Thanks for posting.

Not having heard one before, I'm surprised that the Reeves has more low end than the 2000S. Not so surprising compared with the Ampeg, even though the SVT is a strong, solid head for those who like them.
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 11:53:16 am »

Not having heard one before, I'm surprised that the Reeves has more low end than the 2000S. Not so surprising compared with the Ampeg, even though the SVT is a strong, solid head for those who like them.

I think the Reeves has more clean bottom that any amp I’ve ever played, very visceral at gig volume through vented cabs, if there actually was a “brown note” this would be the amp to find it.  :-D
Along those lines, this is an excerpt from a post I made on another forum regarding those clips, an interesting phenomenon I noticed;

“In fact, I think you did a great job of capturing at least some aspects of the “live” experience, but it probably takes a sub woofer equipped computer sound system to experience it. What prompted me to post this is an interesting experience when I played the “clean” clips in my office. It’s no secret I lean heavily towards a little growl, and don’t really have much use for the total power tube saturation thing. Anyway, the subsonic response of the different amps caused an interesting phenomenon. As I said, I was in my office, not a studio, and there are all kind of mechanical “fuzz boxes”; blinds, printers, coffee cups with pens in them, etc.
I noticed when I turned up the “pbass walk” clips a little that with the SVT everything stayed static, when the 2000S was playing things started buzzing, and with the Reeves all hell broke loose; things were rattling, buzzing, and singing all over the place. They sounded pretty even SPL wise to my ears, so I got out a meter to see what I would find. SVT-86.5 dB, Sunn-87.3 dB, Reeves-84.6 db; and while the Sunn and the Reeves indeed sounded deeper than the way you had the SVT dialed in, I’m talking about real low frequency stuff. My handheld sound level meter is only rated down to 31.5 hz, and this stuff was subsonic IMO so it probably didn’t much affect the SPL readings I was getting.”

I love my Sunns, particularly the 2000S’s, but the Reeves C225 destroys it as far as sheer power, clean response, and bottom end. Not real surprising since the C225 measures 256 watts @ 5% THD, as tested by Bass Gear Magazine in lab conditions. Side by side, cranked flat out it is easily as loud or louder than an SVT, and louder than the Ampeg “squeaky clean”.

That said, I personally think a 2000S rig sounds sweeter, at least to my ears. I mainly gig the Reeves through a EVM15L loaded 215S cab (L’s because of the stupendous bottom end inherent in the Reeves), but if I was willing to deal with the cartage I’d have a 2000S rig at every gig. As it is, I bring a 2000S head as a backup to the Reeves, but I just can’t stand the “T” look of a head overhanging a cab on stage…

On a final note; I’m picking up a modified C225 this evening from Reeves. It’s “dirtied up” a little to try to market to potential customers of SVT’s, Orange, Mesa, etc. that find the Reeves too hi-fi. If they (Reeves) allow it, I’ll get more into details later, I’m not real sure if I should have mentioned it at all.  :roll:

Offline Johnny Guitar

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 09:16:53 pm »
Ed I wanted to hear THUMPER through a 2000S :-D
Johnny g

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 01:48:15 am »
I played Thumper through a two cab 2000S rig tonight, in fact I just unloaded her from my van about 10 minutes ago. Most of the night I played the Jazz, but I played Thumper for about half a set. Things got a little spirited musically and the Jazz was a better fit as the 2000S volume knob started climbing...
It's been a long time since I've used a full 2000S rig for a gig, and hassle be damned, I need to do it more often. I know I'm pretty Sunn biased, but that rig just flat smokes in a loud rock band setting. It was a fill in gig, I don't know if it was being recorded or not, but I'll ask and if I can get some clips I'll post them. It would probably be more entertaining if I had a picture of the drummer's face when I rolled in the second cab though!  :-o

Offline Oli

• FEED YOUR HEAD!
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 04:17:32 am »

...., but I just can’t stand the “T” look of a head overhanging a cab on stage…

+1

I got the same problem. I put the two 4x10" on the ground and the amp on the two cabs, but therefore I loose the speaker height, the sound is down at my knees... :-(

Oli
SUNN Sorado - 1969 / SUNN 2000S - 1970 / SUNN Sorado  - 1971 / SUNN 350B - 1973 / SUNN Coliseum 880 - 1973 / SUNN Concert Bass - 1972 / SUNN Concert Bass - 1979 / 2x SUNN 215B - 1970/75 / SUNN/SAD 2000S cab