Author Topic: What about the other Sunn tube amps?  (Read 8121 times)

Offline gtrplayr1976

• My 1st gen. Model T 1977
What about the other Sunn tube amps?
« on: August 29, 2010, 08:52:49 am »
Ok...I know how awesome the Model T is, but what about the other tube amps...Spectrum, Sonaro, 200S ?   What kind of tones do these have ?

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: What about the other Sunn tube amps?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 12:07:40 pm »
Very clean, very accurate. In my opinion, they take effects well, but some people don't care for their inherent overdrive. They can sound rather harsh. For instance, my Sentura II has a bright, trebly distortion reminiscent of early Rolling Stones. Sounded right on Jumpin' Jack Flash, not so good on most other tunes. However, my MXR Super Distortion + pedal sounds fine through it, and  the amp alone sounds pretty good (to my ear) when the mid boost is on. The reverb is very trebly, very bright. Useful if used in small amounts.

To sum up my opinion: Excellent clean sounds. Take effects well. Reverb is too bright and brittle sounding. Overdrive is good if the amp has a mid boost switch, and it is turned on.
Isaac

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 11:14:13 pm »
Personally I don't like Sunn tube amps for guitar. I think they have loads of bass and are too bright and harsh. They may work well for some heavy metal players though for those reasons. I think their bass amps are fabulous though.

Greg

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 10:13:47 am »
I think it's the basic Dynaco circuit that imparts the Bass friendly attitude that Greg mentions, and also the cleanliness and articulation that Isaac posts about.
It's a Hi-Fi amplifier, distortion was the enemy, something to be avoided.
As Isaac mentions, the Sundholm era Sunns take pedals very well, something that Reeves era Hiwatts also do well, and for the same reasons IMO. It was a different time. Both used the tube technology of their eras to create an amplifier that, well, just amplified accurately rather than get all nasty fast.
Even Fender had the same approach; I've heard from what I consider reliable sources that the reason Fender went to the "Blackface" amp circuit from the now very sought after "Tweed" amps was because the Tweeds were too "dirty" tonally for the higher powered needs of the 60's.

I agree with Greg; Sunn has always been more identified with Bass, and are still revered in the Bass community among those that have the ability and fortitude to deal with bulky 100lb rigs.
Guitarists not so much. There are some, Sunns cop that Dick Dale surf thing very nicely (although I don't think Dick Dale ever used them himself).
Several years ago I negotiated with the guitarist for "The Lost Patrol" (http://www.thelostpatrol.com/) for my Sceptre, and my price and the logistics were too high to come to terms, but... he did get a Sceptre locally and AFAIK he still uses it. Whatever he uses, the haunting, tremolo laden, surfish tone he gets is pretty indicative of guitar tones Sundholm era Sunns do quite well IMO.

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 12:25:25 pm »
According to the Dick Dale and Fender histories I've read, he used Dual Showmans in his heyday. Until Fender introduced the DS, supposedly Dick blew up everything they gave him.
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline D.M.N.

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 04:10:20 pm »
But then you also had Leslie West using Sunns, though I'm not sure if they had an special tweaking to allow different distortion characteristics. He used Sundholm-era Coliseum P.A. (Tube) heads I believe.
House of the Rising Sunn........
-----------------------------------
1969 2000s
1972 2000s
1970 1200s
1968 1000s
1969 200s
2010 2000s DIY 2x15
1971 2000s 2x15
1969 2000s 2x15
1972 2000s 2x15
1968 1000s 2x15
1970 1200s 6x12

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 04:20:22 pm »
According to the Dick Dale and Fender histories I've read, he used Dual Showmans in his heyday. Until Fender introduced the DS, supposedly Dick blew up everything they gave him.

"heyday"? he still uses them to this day, along w/ the dual cabs w/ 2 D130Fs in them and if anyone has a chance to check him out please do.
i think he is in his late 60s and still brings it and is touring-musta scared the hell out teens back in them early surf music days.
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline HRobert

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 04:42:40 pm »
Personally I don't like Sunn tube amps for guitar. I think they have loads of bass and are too bright and harsh. They may work well for some heavy metal players though for those reasons. I think their bass amps are fabulous though.

Greg

Depends on what kind of speaker you use.  I have a pair of 2 x 15 cabs with JBL K-130's in each for my Sentura II and the amp sounds great.

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 04:46:44 pm »
Hey, I'm glad the King of the Surf Guitar is still using Dual Showmans. Those are cool rigs, and in fact Chuck Berry still uses them, too (at least he has the three times I've seen him play here in St. Louis).
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 04:37:37 pm »
Depends on what kind of speaker you use.  I have a pair of 2 x 15 cabs with JBL K-130's in each for my Sentura II and the amp sounds great.

Again, really clean, accurate speaker. Not likely to give you that dirty, Marshall sound.
Isaac

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 04:32:36 am »

Greg

Yah the speaker changes things of course, but if you notice, I said I personally don't like Sunn tube amps for guitar...but of course other people may like them for that purpose. I have fixed a lot and tried them through different speaker setups, have modded the circuits, got rid of negative feedback, etc., and I just don't like them for guitar. To me they are too bassy and too bright at the same time, and hard sounding and just not very warm or touch responsive amps. The hardness comes from the high voltages in the amp and the use of 6550/KT88's. I will say that I do like the EL34 Sunn amps for guitar better than the bigger Sunns....of course they are using different tubes and have lower voltages.

Greg

Offline HRobert

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 06:33:27 am »

Showmans are great amps.  Being from Michigan I remember seeing Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes back in the late 60's.  Ted used 2 Dual Showman Bottoms with JBL D-130's and on each cab sat a Fender Twin Reverb with JBL's.  He used a blond Gibson Byrdland.  Great sound....and loud and clean. 

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 03:58:18 pm »
All I can say is that I love my 1st era Sunn amps for dirt pedal and fx, and you need 15" to get all their spectrum.

For lower tuning guitar, it's perfect. :-D

their the only one available around here and the most affordable/quality tube amp I've seen. I can afford 2 or 3 of those heads for the price of 1 Model T.
Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115

Offline thehornedone

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 08:39:02 am »
I know that a lot of these amps are the same and just had different names based on what cabs they came with, correct?

Solarus = Sceptre,  Sonaro = Sorado?