Author Topic: Quick Question!!  (Read 2558 times)

Offline cptdaisy

Quick Question!!
« on: September 15, 2010, 05:43:29 pm »
I'm pretty sure I have this right, I just want to confirm with you all.

I just bought a pair of eminence legends to put into my sunn beta lead combo. I hood up the negative to the white line and the positive to the black line right????

I'm a student and can't afford if anything goes wrong.....

Offline cptdaisy

Re: Quick Question!!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 06:06:23 pm »
So the old speakers have the white line connected to a jack indicated with a white blob of paint. is this one the positive?

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 06:25:35 pm »
   Hi there,yes the white wire is positive when used with a black wire in Electronics.In Electrical usage the white wire is the neutral,and the black wire is "hot" or positive.Good luck,Mel.

Offline cptdaisy

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 06:45:11 pm »
Hm. I'm much more confused now. So sometimes white is positive and sometimes black is? It seems as if the white blob (indicating positive???) on the old speakers is not on the same side as the positive on the new speakers.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 07:02:45 pm by cptdaisy »

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 07:02:22 am »
   Hi there,you're dealing with Electronics here,so white is positive.The fact that the white "blob" is on a different terminal on the new spkrs.,means they're opposite phase to the orig. ones,no prob,will work fine,just put the white wire to the white "blobs" on the spkrs.,good luck,Mel.

Offline thehornedone

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 11:58:57 am »
It shouldn't matter as long as you wire both speakers the same way, otherwise they'd be out of phase with each other.

Offline Greg_M

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 08:42:01 am »
As long as the cones go in and out at the same time (assuming you have more than one speaker) it doesn't really matter.
Hook a battery (for an instant) to the speaker and note whether the cone goes in or out.
Hook up the next speaker the same way and see if the cone moves the same way.
Repeat......

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 09:08:52 am »
I think it is more or less standard for the cone to move out (that is, away from the basket) when positive voltage is applied. I agree that it doesn't really matter, unless one is using multiple cabinets. But for consistency's sake, before I closed up the cabinet, I'd take a speaker cord and a 9 volt battery, plug one end of the cord into the cabinet's input jack, and apply voltage to the other end, with the positive (+) contact of the battery on the tip of the cord, negative (-) on the sleeve. Watch all of the cones move. They should all move the same direction, and they should all move out.
Isaac

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 10:29:58 am »
Of course, just to muddy the water you have old JBL's which are the reverse of the rest of the world.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 10:40:21 am »
That's why I stressed direction rather than color. I just rewired a cabinet Saturday with JBLs, and made sure that they moved out when I applied + to the tip of the speaker cord. On old JBLs, that's applied to the black terminal. On newer JBLs, it's the red. Always test.
Isaac

Offline cptdaisy

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 06:29:40 pm »
wow yall thanks for the info. ill get on it!