Author Topic: Concert Lead Silverface Power Question  (Read 1902 times)

Offline Billy-Boy

Concert Lead Silverface Power Question
« on: August 11, 2015, 07:54:31 am »
Hi everyone,

I just bought a Sunn Concert lead few days ago on eBay from the US because its super hard to find one arround here (Im currently living in France).

So I have few questions about what kind of power supply should I use with it.
I know in the US they use 110v with 60hz and here we use 220v 50hz.
I dont think there is a swich to change the voltage of the amp..

So I think the easier way for me to run it is to buy a transformer to pass the 220v in 110v.

- 1st Question : What should be the power of the transformer. (I guess it should be more than the 200W indicated beside the power wire ?).

- Does that kind of transfo' will do the job ? : http://www.amazon.com/STEP-DOWN-TRANSFORMER-ADAPTER-300W/dp/B0036ZKCAY

- Does the frequencie difference (60hz/50hz) will be a problem running the amp ?

-  Last question : Can someone explain me what is the polarity switch in the back , and what is for the ac outlet under the circuit breaker ?

Thx !

Offline Billy-Boy

Re: Concert Lead Silverface Power Question
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 01:42:50 am »
Ok, so I finally got my hands on the amp and I mostly found awnsers for my questions.

- Normaly to find the power needed :
 you should Multiply the intensity of the main protection fuse by the voltage used by the amp.

Here I dont have a fuse but a circuit breaker with no infos on it..
 I assume on most of the amps the power needed is 3 times more important than the one indicated.
 So I just took a 500W Step-Down Transformer and its working fine.

To me, the voltage frequency didn’t seemed to have any impact on the sound and the running of the amp.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Concert Lead Silverface Power Question
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 09:30:10 am »
The 200 watt rating near the power cord is the rated power consumption of the amp, but actual power consumption can be higher if the amp is run past its rated limits, as when pushed to distort. I think a 500VA transformer is a good choice. I agree that 50Hz/60Hz is not an issue.

The polarity switch reverses the polarity of the chassis ground. This was a useful feature back before electrical polarity was standardized, but serves no useful purpose today. In fact, it connects a capacitor from ground to power. If that cap shorts, it can be dangerous, causing electrical shock and even killing the user. That's why it is often called the death cap.

The electrical outlet under the circuit breaker is an accessory outlet, used to plug in another piece of gear.
Isaac