Author Topic: good guitar pick-ups to mate with Sunn amps...?  (Read 6237 times)

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
good guitar pick-ups to mate with Sunn amps...?
« on: June 06, 2010, 05:02:02 am »
Ok, so here's a 1st thread on which guitar pick-ups to use to preserve the vintage sound of Sunn amps.

I'm looking to get 2 humbuckers for a Baritone LesPaul in Drop A used with fuzz, overdrive and fx.

This place seems to have good hand made pick-ups for a lot cheaper than Gibsons and I eard a lot of of good comments about them.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/pickups.html

So feel free to share what you use, you're opinions, info...anything on the subject would be valuable.

thanks!
Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115

Offline grimniggzy

Re: good guitar pick-ups to mate with Sunn amps...?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 10:26:28 am »
Just a guess but I'd say maybe you should look into some DiMarzio Super Distortions.
Sunn Coliseum Bass--->Sunn 215B
Sunn Beta Bass--->Ampeg 410HLF
Sunn Beta Lead--->Marshall 4X12
2 Sunn Concert Basses
3 Fender P's, 1 Fretless J, 2 Statss, AmpegPlexiBass
OC-2 + QTrons + RATs + VTBass

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 06:24:43 pm »
Just a guess but I'd say maybe you should look into some DiMarzio Super Distortions.

yes I eard good comments on them specially to get a full-on metal sound.

I ordered a set (bridge/neck) of GFS VEH, Vintage 59 with a hotter output but they were B.O...so I'll go with the Power Rails!
They're suppose to be really hot for a good metal rhythm attack but they still have the warmth of more vintage P.U...I don't want to sound like a new-metal too much.

I will supposedly feel my palm muting and my pick attack louder and with lots of bottom with them...

I'll see how it goes...should get them next week!

The next option could be DiMarzio D-Sonic, they are good for drop tune...but twice the price!
Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115

Offline Ryanx

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 01:48:30 pm »
i think in all actuality you'd be happy with the dimarzio PAF Pro pickups.  They were killer pickups when i had them in a never ending search for the right Dimarzio pickup.  Think the gibson burstbucker sound, with more of a super distortion edge to them that would benefit you with what you're looking for.  My opinion, but i think you'd be satisfied.

Offline HRobert

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 06:06:08 pm »
Wouldn't the choice of pickups be a persona choice as to the type of sound one wnats to achieve?

Offline Walt-Dogg

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 12:40:54 pm »
Wouldn't the choice of pickups be a persona choice as to the type of sound one wnats to achieve?

Exactly. I prefer hot single coils and bladed humbuckers over standard ones and a lot of people don't like the tone of my guitars through my rig but they like their guitars through my rig and vice versa.
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Squier Precision Bass MIJ
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone Bluesbreaker 2x12
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 01:11:52 pm »

Exactly. I prefer hot single coils and bladed humbuckers over standard ones and a lot of people don't like the tone of my guitars through my rig but they like their guitars through my rig and vice versa.

+1
I don't think anybody can tell you what you'll like or dislike on an internet forum, you probably need to go through a whole bunch of P'ups to find your personal nirvana. It's like strings, or amps, or effects. And thank goodness, it would be a pretty bland musical world if everybody thought the same about tone.
The good news is you can swap and trade used P'ups without spending a big pile of money while you search.  :wink:

Offline gtrplayr1976

• My 1st gen. Model T 1977
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 07:58:29 pm »
I remember using DiMarzio Super Distortion, and PAF  with my Model T back in the late 70s...never used any stomp boxes...just a cable....loved it.

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 02:39:57 am »
It all boils down to YOUR sound IMO. I've used various pickups through my amps but with a little secret technique that's almost never used anymore, I can get some really righteous tones from almost any pickup selection. Just try some different guitars/pickups out with it man, good luck!
MAXIMUM VOLUME YIELDS MAXIMUM GOATS

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 09:41:03 am »
Yeah, the choice of PU won't give the same result in all the different guitar+pedal+amp+cabinet combination we have but that's what's fun about it.

It's a never ending sound experiment and goes with our tastes...but I'm getting pretty close to what I want and just wanted people to share experienced with all the choices out there...

I like the GFS PU for their price so I can try bunch of them...I might order another bridge PU and see if I can get a really different tone...

But I must say from what I've read here, Dimarzio SD and PAF seams to be something to try too...I'll check the local adds for it...!

thanks to all for sharing your opinion on the subject! :-D

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 02:32:39 am »
PAF's sound good. I used the 7-string version in one of my old 7-string guitars (when I used to play it). Made a huge difference, keep in mind, they're low output pickups, but they're still rad.
MAXIMUM VOLUME YIELDS MAXIMUM GOATS

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline buzzsunn

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 11:45:07 am »
So to continue here the conversation about P-Rails...
The sounds you can get from this pu are great! As you said you can have SC/HB/P90 with push-pull pots, BUT the magic is here:

No extra holes for switch and no pots replacements. All in this pu ring! Actually with "triple shot" you can have 4 tones in total (1 extra from the one descried above). The extra tone is a HB sound, but the Rail and P90 are out of phase  :wink:

Tomorrow am gonna post a pic from my Baritone to see the pickup.
But until then... Yes go for GF :evil:
check and contribute: http://postyourrig.blogspot.com/

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 06:33:39 am »
got my Mean 90'S installed, but I had to leave the guitar to my luthier to open-up the cavity for the PU because they're a bit tight...and a full tune-up while I'm there.

I've played them on the Sunns just a bit and 1st impression, more of the typical low-end Sunn growl with endless sustain! :evil: amazing!

and they're still tight enough for rhythm fast or slow.

I should post pics & clips...

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 12:01:19 pm »
just moved it from sunn rigs of doom to here to keep it in the right subject...haha. wow overnight shift... I'm all over the forum haha.

Mean 90! as mean as it looks!