Author Topic: daisy chaining beta series cabinets  (Read 2045 times)

Offline wilddeath

daisy chaining beta series cabinets
« on: March 22, 2008, 12:36:26 pm »
So I don't want to blow anything up. But i have recently accquired my third and final beta cabinet, completing the speaker part of the rig i've been building.  So far its two Beta 105's on the bottom (1x15's) which are angled towards eachother and sitting atop of them is a Beta 205 (2x15).  All cabinets are at 4 Ohms and have the series/paralell option for chaining.  Until i get another head, beta bass, i'd like to power the system at 4 ohms with just the beta lead.  So to do this safely, do i run the cabs in series or paralell?  Thanks for any help/advice, what have you.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: daisy chaining beta series cabinets
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 09:19:44 pm »
So I don't want to blow anything up. But i have recently accquired my third and final beta cabinet, completing the speaker part of the rig i've been building.  So far its two Beta 105's on the bottom (1x15's) which are angled towards eachother and sitting atop of them is a Beta 205 (2x15).  All cabinets are at 4 Ohms and have the series/paralell option for chaining.  Until i get another head, beta bass, i'd like to power the system at 4 ohms with just the beta lead.  So to do this safely, do i run the cabs in series or paralell?  Thanks for any help/advice, what have you.

Three 4 ohm cabinets do not equal a 4 ohm load, no matter how you connect them.

Offline DAMAGED I

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 10:57:25 am »

Three 4 ohm cabinets do not equal a 4 ohm load, no matter how you connect them.
no, but if he's running a beta lead, you can chain at least two of them in series and run it at something higher than 4 ohms safely, right?

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 03:37:59 pm »
Yes. You can run any two cabs in series to get an 8 ohm load. However, an 8 ohm load will cut the output power if the beta to 65ish watts with half of that going to each cabinet.
You could hook up all three, the 105's paralleled in series into the 205 for a 6 ohm load, but if that cuts the power to approx. 80 watts output, each 105 cab would be getting a whopping 13.3 watts, while the 205 gets 53.3.
You could hook up all three, the 105's in series paralleled to the 205, but you are getting a 2.67 ohm load, which I believe lower than the beta's output stage can maintain stable operation.
It might work, the wattage would probably be in excess of 100, just be careful of fire or shock and be prepared to replace the amp.

Offline wilddeath

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 11:22:37 pm »
thank you very much edbass!   i've concluded that i do not want to compromise my volume. or blow my stuff up. so i will just wait until i get a second beta head and then run one right into the 205 and one with the two 105's paralelled...  that will keep the system at 4 ohms correct?

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 07:29:50 am »
thank you very much edbass!   i've concluded that i do not want to compromise my volume. or blow my stuff up. so i will just wait until i get a second beta head and then run one right into the 205 and one with the two 105's paralelled...  that will keep the system at 4 ohms correct?

Nope.
If you parallel two 4 ohm 105 cabs, you will get a 2 ohm load on one of your betas - too low. If you run them in series, you get 8 ohms and power reduction.
The proverbial "Rock and a Hard Place".

Offline wilddeath

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 10:44:18 pm »
wow. bummer!