Author Topic: Sunn 115 cab needs new baffle  (Read 1899 times)

Offline timmyriot

Sunn 115 cab needs new baffle
« on: July 16, 2009, 02:32:58 pm »
Hello

I got a Sunn 115 cab awhile back with the original speaker in it but it was blown. I bought a new 15" speaker but its basket was much larger and I had to enlarge the opening in the cab to install it. The new speaker was much too powerful for this smaller cab so I tracked down another Sunn 15" speaker and want to put it back in. However... the opening is too large now to get a good grip with the screws. I would like to make a new baffle.

Does anyone know how the original baffles were installed on these cabs? Some pictures of the inside of the cab...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/timie/IMG_1150.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/timie/IMG_1151.jpg

I think the baffle is just screwed into those cleats in the corners of the cab. Or maybe its screwed in from the outsides of the cab and the cleats are just there for the baffle to rest on?

Any ideas are appreciated, I love this little cab and would like to play it again soon.

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
Re: Sunn 115 cab needs new baffle
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 03:46:49 pm »
It's probably just nailed in, not held with screws. Get a big hammer and beat the baffle forward from the inside. If the cleats split, replace them and install the new baffle from the front. Make sure you get an air tight seal on the baffle with some kind of calking or lots of glue.

Offline timmyriot

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 02:41:45 pm »
Thanks, make sense. Any ideas on what kind of wood the baffle is?

Offline HRobert

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 11:52:22 pm »
Thanks, make sense. Any ideas on what kind of wood the baffle is?

The baffle looks to be amde out of 5 ply plywood.  I cannot tell the thickness from the picture, so I would measure the thickness.

Ive had good luck building cabinets with 11 ply birch plywood - which is 18mm thick, or a scant 3/4 inch - which i buy at Lowe's.  I normally buy the wood in a 4' x 8' sheet, but I think they make 2x4 and 2x2 "handy panels".

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 03:44:03 pm »
Don't forget the glue.