Author Topic: Edbass you would have lost the wager  (Read 2624 times)

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
Edbass you would have lost the wager
« on: August 02, 2007, 03:34:34 pm »
Remember this?

I don't know, but I'll wager that Acoustic Control Corporation didn't make their artists go to a store and pay full retail for their gear. I'm also pretty damn sure Jaco Pastorius didn't appear in their print ads for free...

Found this over on the unofficial Acoustic board. The poster is Harvey Gerst.

Yes, artists bought their Acoustic equipment from dealers. At the start (when we didn't have dealers), we did sell some of the early artists direct, but that was rare and stopped early in our history.

Unlike Vox, who was giving away equipment to anybody that walked in off the street, I reasoned that there must be value attached to our amps, or they'd be worthless. We turned down the Carpenters, the Eagles, and several other MAJOR groups (at the height of their popularity) who wanted them free.

We sold Sweetwater some of the early prototypes (at a great price), but I don't recall ever giving them any amps.

As to my involvement with Sweetwater, that started as a bet between me and Steve Marks, and it IS a long story.

AND this:

They were "friends" of Acoustic, period. They didn't get discounts from us, but they did get priority service if something went bad.

Free repairs? Hell, we had a "Lifetime Warranty", so yeah, they got "free repairs".

We had an agreement (verbal, by the way) with artists that we could use pictures of them in our ads, and if they didn't like it, we wouldn't use their pictures. Nothing but a handshake, but it worked just fine for us for all the years I was at Acoustic.

I don't know what happened after I left, but while I was there, we never paid anybody a dime to "endorse" our products.

I DO remember giving David Crosby a free 261 after he was kicked out of the Byrds, and before he was in CSN&Y. I talked it over with Steve Marks and we decided it was the right thing to do for all the people David brought in to show our amps in the early days of Acous

Here is the link to the thread:

http://p083.ezboard.com/funofficialacousticcontrolcorpmessageboardfrm1.showMessage?topicID=1058.topic

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Edbass you would have lost the wager
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 05:54:37 pm »
Curses, foiled again! Or am I...

Remember this?

I don't know, but I'll wager that Acoustic Control Corporation didn't make their artists go to a store and pay full retail for their gear. I'm also pretty damn sure Jaco Pastorius didn't appear in their print ads for free...

Found this over on the unofficial Acoustic board. The poster is Harvey Gerst.

Yes, artists bought their Acoustic equipment from dealers. At the start (when we didn't have dealers), we did sell some of the early artists direct, but that was rare and stopped early in our history.

AND this:

They were "friends" of Acoustic, period. They didn't get discounts from us, but they did get priority service if something went bad.

Free repairs? Hell, we had a "Lifetime Warranty", so yeah, they got "free repairs".

We had an agreement (verbal, by the way) with artists that we could use pictures of them in our ads, and if they didn't like it, we wouldn't use their pictures. Nothing but a handshake, but it worked just fine for us for all the years I was at Acoustic.

I don't know what happened after I left, but while I was there, we never paid anybody a dime to "endorse" our products.

Did he leave before Jaco? Regrettfully, I never met him so it's all second hand info, but from all I've heard about Mr. Pastorius, he was a virtuoso bassist, but a less than amiable persona who for free wouldn't spit on you if you were on fire. I would think his doing an ad without compensation would be highly unlikely at best. But, obviously I must humbly defer to Mr. Gerst in matters pertaining to happenings at Acoustic during an era when I was yet too young to (legally) drink!

On a side note;
I posted this; http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=352029&highlight=reeves on talkbass.com. I wouldn't post it here as it is only vaguely Sunn related, but it's sort of a head to head comparison to the venerable 2000S that Sunn worshipers may find interesting.
How 'bout that wiring? Brawn and beauty!
Monday night the Reeves goes head to head with a Magnovox era SVT, stay tuned to talkbass...