Author Topic: 4x12 Sceptre Cab Dimensions  (Read 2691 times)

Offline Curdie

4x12 Sceptre Cab Dimensions
« on: June 11, 2014, 08:45:12 am »
My guitaist's 4x12 Sceptre cab was stolen last year (along with my car..) and we've been unable to find an adequate replacement. I want to build one. Does anyone have the overall dimensions of this cab? I've searched pretty exhaustively and haven't come up with any info on the 'net so far. I think I can get pretty close on speaker location if I have the overall size.

Offline Ryan Phelps

Re: 4x12 Sceptre Cab Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 11:32:17 am »
You can find this on the Sunn Catalog Thread at the top of this page. The Sceptre cab had 4-12" speakers in a staggered vertical arrangement. The cabinet measures 24" W. x 15" D. x 40" H. (add 2 inches to the height for castors). I have a 1968 example of this cabinet with the original, date-matched Jensens. The cabinet is hand dated on the interior 9-12-68.....my 14th birthday!
You can find tolex, corners and handles on eBay and other sources. 1st generation grille cloth is unobtanium. Conrad Sundholm has all the parts too; not sure about the 1st generation grille cloth, but I think he may have the 2nd style. Good Luck!

Offline Curdie

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 01:42:19 pm »
Thank you!

Offline Curdie

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 01:58:01 pm »
I'm not as concerned about reproducing the appearance as I am the SOUND. That thing was mellow for days, but crystal clear at the same time. No mud. It isn't even like it had an easy life. I know it was kicked off the back of a six foot stage- in the middle of a gig- at least one time before it came to us. The internal brace was removed because it had begun rattling. It still sounded amazing.

My guitarist purchased a new cab from Avatar to replace it, and it's quite nice- but it just isn't the same. I'm planning to remove the Celestion Vintage 30s from his Avatar and try 'em out in a homemade cab with the same dimensions as the Sceptre cabinet. I'm hoping that the larger cabinet might bring back some of the low end and mellow it out a bit. I hear the Vintage 30s have a bit of a harsh high mid-range though... so I'm afraid the speakers are probably a big part of the "problem".

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 05:29:02 pm »
New speakers need to be broken in. It can take lots of gigs playing loud or several hours with a low frequency signal generator and power amp.

Offline Curdie

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 09:17:29 am »
I didn't think about that. Thanks-- maybe there is more hope for this cab afterall.