Author Topic: Solarus - model changes  (Read 962 times)

Offline Solarusizer

Solarus - model changes
« on: October 10, 2023, 01:40:44 pm »
Hey Everyone -

I just got a good deal on a backup for my treasured Solarus.. and found some surprises. Firstly there is no mid-boost switch, which is kind of a bummer. But what I was surprised by is that it only has 16 & 8 ohm outs. My other Solarus has 8 & 4ohm outs, which is great because  I run it with a Sceptre 4ohm cab.

I'm hoping someone here might know the details of which design was first, and when those changes were made. Thanks!

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
Re: Solarus - model changes
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 03:30:14 am »
Open up the Catalog thread and use the text search function (control f) to search for Solarus. Might not work on a Mac but OK on Windows and Chrome Book. There is a thread here that discusses how to change the output impedance between 4/8 and 8/16. You need to be handy with a soldering iron to move some wires around.

Check this thread: https://forum.sunnstillshines.online/index.php?topic=4844.msg18880#msg18880

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Solarus - model changes
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2023, 09:55:09 am »
The first models did not have the mid boost switch. That was added later. A useful function, IMO. Too bad it wasn't foot switchable.

All of the models have the same transformer, and those have 4, 8 and 16 ohm taps. As loudthud said, it's not difficult to switch between them.
Isaac