Author Topic: coliseum 300 and 200s slaving question  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Will Dee

coliseum 300 and 200s slaving question
« on: July 06, 2007, 02:31:47 pm »
Hello, new guy here. I have a coliseum 300 and a 215b. I'd like to buy a 200s and slave the power from the coliseum 300 and use the tone of the 200s. I'm hoping someone might be able to tell me how I'd do that. Also-- Is there another amp similar to the 200s someone might recommend more? I'd like to have a gain knob and I know the 200s doesn't have one but I'd rather not modify anything. From what I can tell after researching, the 200s is my best bet for a cheap tube amp with great tone, so I'll sacrifice the gain for that. Thanks a lot-- Will

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
Re: coliseum 300 and 200s slaving question
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 04:20:54 pm »

This is yours Ed!!  :-D

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: coliseum 300 and 200s slaving question
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 05:09:55 pm »
Hello, new guy here. I have a coliseum 300 and a 215b. I'd like to buy a 200s and slave the power from the coliseum 300 and use the tone of the 200s. I'm hoping someone might be able to tell me how I'd do that. Also-- Is there another amp similar to the 200s someone might recommend more? I'd like to have a gain knob and I know the 200s doesn't have one but I'd rather not modify anything. From what I can tell after researching, the 200s is my best bet for a cheap tube amp with great tone, so I'll sacrifice the gain for that. Thanks a lot-- Will

While it does have a gain knob, the 200S doesn't have any provision to be used as a preamp in front of your Coliseum. You would need to do surgery and add a preamp out, which isn't too radical of a modification, but to do it right you would need to drill a hole in the chassis to mount the pre out jack.
Even if you did the necessary mods and ran it through your Coliseum, you still wouldn't have the "tone of the 200S". That "tone" is a synergistic relationship of the tube preamp and tube output stages working together through a pair of AlNiCo JBL's in a heavy wood ported enclosure.
If you are looking for the tube amp mojo, just run the 200S into the 215B and see if it works for you. If it isn't enough grunt for your application, find a 2000S.
The cheaper solution would be to find a Sansamp for sale on ebay and run it into your Coliseum power amp section; they do a decent job of emulating old tube amps.