Author Topic: Gonna get rid my S100  (Read 2077 times)

Offline jerryjg

Gonna get rid my S100
« on: February 28, 2008, 11:32:05 pm »
Yeah, frankly, I dont see why i need this amp. Certainly not merely for the Sunn mystique.
I am prompted to get rid of it by the fact  I hooked up my Traynor YSR-1a Custom reverb and it sounds alot better through my vintage 4X12 Marshall Greenback cabinet.
It also practically as good through a 4X12 EMI Tonker loaded cabinet. Sooo.I guess I'll just get rid of the S100 and  keep my doom rig of Concert bass and 2X15 EV loaded Sunn cabinet.
Is Sunn overrated??  Is it just rare? Of course they are excellent amps, but ,I mean...Im guessing also my Traynor (B)assmaster would stack up against the 1200s  Sunn head as well.
Guess the only thing to try is a Model T someday.
I guess I really need to AB iboth the YSR-1a and the S100  again to make certain I'm not missing something, and I hate doing that . Are you sure nothing sounds like a SUNN?
I know for sure the S100 sounds terrible through the Greenbacks,(more a question of sensitivity and volume I think) but i need to try both amps again through the Tonker cabinet.  The S100 sounds great through the Tonker cabinet but so does the Traynor YSR-1a. Maybe theres some kind of massive low end or something with the Sunn that I missed, that is not there with the Trayne.? I want to be able to say one of these amps is better than the other so I can sell one ,cause i could sure use the money.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 11:39:43 pm by jerryjg »

Offline djc

Re: Gonna get rid my S100
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 08:18:37 am »
I have a room full of traynor and a few sunns.  each are excellent in what they are but they sound different than each other.  Traynor like sunn was a very reputable company in it's day making amps far greater than other company's.  both were bought out by large corporations that butchered the originals :wink:
anyway, whatever sounds best to you, go with it.  if you're looking to unload your Sunn, stick it in the classifides.  unless you want to just give it to me...

one thing I would suggest if you are willing to spend the money and time is get your sunn to a good tube tech, change the caps, tubes, re-bias and then put it up against your traynor, you may be surprised in what you hear.  it might be a diamond in the rough.  a cap that is out a litlle bit or mismatched tubes or a variety of other variables could be tainting the sound.

Offline jerryjg

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 12:03:44 am »
So , if you recall correctly I was about to sell my Sunn because it sounded weak and awefull through my 16 ohm greenback cabinetcompared to my Traynor. Both amps run at 8 ohms.
 Well, i decided to have one more go at that amp, and found out I actually had an 8 ohms switch on my cabinet (  thanks god I changed the old jack out to a later type!)
Well mi amigos mundos, the amp came alive and exploded in a palette of deep palpable textures and aromas and...well, it came alive anyway, thats for sure.
So heres the real story based on my experience here...On some amps it wont matter if you run an 8 ohm amp through a 16 ohm cabinet, in fact, it may sound great like as my Traynor YSR-1a did.
However, On other amps like my Sunn it is imperative that you impedance match for best sound. I dont know why.
Unfortuately ive got to tell a forum bro. I wont be selling this ggreat sounding Sunn after all.

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 02:11:01 pm »
An auction just ended on ebay for a 100S for increadable money. I guess it pays to post lots of pictures. Non original power transformer, solid state rectifier conversion, improvised re-cap job, replaced grill cloth. At least the knobs look original. I hope it sounds good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160212723502&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006

Offline djc

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 07:09:19 am »
wow, I can't believe it went for that.  I saw it a few days ago and noticed the replaced transformer and rectifier and thought it would go for around $300 because of those things.  $725? Ay Carumba!