Author Topic: Sorado or 200S head and 4 and 8 ohm cabinets  (Read 1648 times)

Offline Zulubilly

Sorado or 200S head and 4 and 8 ohm cabinets
« on: November 24, 2008, 08:10:22 pm »
Can a Sorado or 200S head run two 4 ohm cabinets at the same time.  I know this drops the ohms to 2, but is this dangerous for the head. 

Also Can you run an 8 ohm cabinet hooked to the 8 ohm output on the head at the same time as a 4 ohm cabinet is hooked to the 4 ohm output.   

I am going to replace some speakers and I want to make an 8 ohm cabinet.  Which is best, 2-16 ohm speakers wired in parallel or 2-4 ohm speakers wired in series. 

Thanks

Zulubilly
The SUNN is always rising somewhere

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
Re: Sorado or 200S head and 4 and 8 ohm cabinets
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 09:41:49 am »
Parallel wiring works best. Search the Q&A forum for the word mechanism to find more info on how speaker jacks are wired on late 60's heads.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Sorado or 200S head and 4 and 8 ohm cabinets
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 07:49:07 pm »
Can a Sorado or 200S head run two 4 ohm cabinets at the same time.  I know this drops the ohms to 2, but is this dangerous for the head. 

It would probably work, those old amps are pretty stout, but... It just aint right.
Why don't you run the cabs in series to the 8 ohm output?

Also Can you run an 8 ohm cabinet hooked to the 8 ohm output on the head at the same time as a 4 ohm cabinet is hooked to the 4 ohm output.

When you use both jacks it will run parallel to the 4 ohm tap showing it a 2.67 ohm load.   

I am going to replace some speakers and I want to make an 8 ohm cabinet.  Which is best, 2-16 ohm speakers wired in parallel or 2-4 ohm speakers wired in series. 

I usually try to run parallel, but I don't think it matters much.