Author Topic: Beta lead distortion VS PB10 Distortion  (Read 2684 times)

Offline kiehano

Beta lead distortion VS PB10 Distortion
« on: October 09, 2010, 09:05:30 am »
In the red corner...

The Sunn PB10...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj4lVTmuXkM

In the black corner...

The Sunn Beta Lead...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH0f4p6_Hv8&feature=related

Why don't they ound the same?

Mine Beta Lead head sounds, well, like the beta lead head in the 2nd clip.  Any way to squeeze some more gain out of this circuit so it sounds more like the PB10?  Tossing a pedal in front seems to actually thin out the sound a little...not good.  I want the same massive roar it has now but with a little more distortion...any ideas?

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Beta lead distortion VS PB10 Distortion
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 10:07:40 am »
Could be the speakers, or the recording technique. There's a lot of hiss in the second video, which implies more treble response.
Isaac

Offline John Matrix

• Art Things
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 10:46:55 am »
what kind of guitar do you have? I have the 212 combo myself, and when I play it with my Schecter Tempest, it sounds more like the 2nd clip. I also have a Jackson that I put a Seymour Duncan Invader in, and it sounds waaaaay heavier. The high output pickup makes a huge difference.
http://archradish.blogspot.com

Beta Lead 212, Concert Lead into a 412L, Schecter Tempest Classic

Offline kiehano

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 11:38:57 am »
I have a few different guitars I've run through it.  My '77 Ibanez Artist, Gibby SG faded, Epi SG with a Mighty Mite motherbucker, blah blah blah.  Seems like she just doesn't have that much distortion.  Even the other clips of the beta lead sound like they have more gain than mine.  I know it's kind of hard to tell sometimes because of the really crappy video camera mics (why do they even bother posting it if it just sounds like garbage?) but most of them do.  I tried cleaning the hell out of the pots.  Made it a bit quieter.  I was hoping a better contact might result in a little more of that seething, roaring glory...no dice.  I'm hoping it might be as simple as changing a couple resistor values heading into or out of the hex inverter or op-amps.

Offline madaradio

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 06:34:48 pm »
Any way to squeeze some more gain out of this circuit so it sounds more like the PB10?  Tossing a pedal in front seems to actually thin out the sound a little...not good.  I want the same massive roar it has now but with a little more distortion...any ideas?

PM doomedfuzz  I'm pretty sure that was him in the 2nd video

Offline cromag

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 05:15:37 pm »
could the problem be that your trying to get a beta lead to sound like a beta bass?  the pb10 is the beta bass preamp, whereas the pl20 is the beta lead preamp.  how much do these two circuits differ?

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 07:35:42 pm »
i have a pb10 and a beta lead amp-apples and oranges
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER