Author Topic: Hartzell coliseum 880?/distortion  (Read 1135 times)

Offline sunnfever

Hartzell coliseum 880?/distortion
« on: February 21, 2006, 07:46:53 pm »
I would like to know of any major difference between sunn Hartzell era made silverface coliseum 880 and earlier versions. I wanted to know why the distortions on the coliseum and concerts suck volume? I can hear how it distorts the sound but it bleeds off loudness. I have a footswitch with vibrato/distort+reverb/ boost that I had rewired. Do both switches need to be engaged?

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 07:21:02 am »
I don't know about the coliseum, but on the concert the distort and boost functions are all on the same knob.  As you turn up the distortion, it turns down the boost (and vice versa).

And as far as the footswitch goes, the distort line has to be grounded to activate the distortion side, and the boost line has to be ungrounded to effect a boost.  If you have them both grounded then it might appear that volume is reduced when the distort is on  - or that you have more volume when distort is off.

Offline sunnfever

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 09:01:46 am »
Do you mean to say that if I open up footswitch up that the RCA only needs the positive wire saudered to the boost side switch? This is an original black and silver footswitch that was missing RCA when I got it so any info would help!