Author Topic: capacitor  (Read 2079 times)

Offline Darryl

capacitor
« on: March 20, 2001, 01:06:00 pm »
I can't seem to find a capacitor (30/20/20/20 uf 600V) for my Sceptra amp. Any one know of a vendor that might have it? Also I'm going to replace all of the tubes in it and was thinking of ordering from

http://store.yahoo.com/triodeel/index.html

does anyone have any comments on them? They have everything I need but this one cap.

I'm buying:
2 KT88
1 GZ34
1 12AX7
1 12AU7
1 6AN8
1 30 uf 600v cap

all for less than $100, is this about right or too high?

Darryl

Offline Ryan Phelps

capacitor
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2001, 01:47:00 pm »
Darryl;
That's a good price. For the multi-section filter cap try Antique Electronic Supply in Tempe AZ ( they also have a website you can order from). They carry Mexican-made Mallory caps rated at 525V. They also carry the tubes you need as well. I've used several for re-capping Sunn amps and Dynaco hi-fi amps and they work great. Be sure to buy a matched pair of KT88's. Don't forget to dis-charge the old caps before you begin work and re-bias the KT88's.

Good luck!
Ryan Phelps

Offline Brian Comnes

capacitor
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2001, 01:54:00 pm »
that capacitor is a real toughie, try 4 separate 600V caps, some hot glue and a nylon tie-strap .....and put it inside the chassis where it doesn't show, leaving the old one for cosmetics......its butt ugly, but hey capacitance is capacitance  :wink:

check out http://lord-valve.freeyellow.com/ for another tube source.....lord valve is easy to deal and his tubes are definitely what he says they are....and his newsletter is way way cool......

Offline Greg Z

capacitor
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2001, 02:15:00 pm »
Done business with triode electronics, very good service!
Usually receive my order in 4 days.

Greg z
to thine own sound be true

That cap's a toughy, I lucked out and found one from one of the dynaco guys.

Greg z

proud owner of a '70 1200s
Greg Z
 gmz79-at-aol.com