Author Topic: Help identify my Sunn amp make model  (Read 9103 times)

Offline Soundmasterg

Re: Help identify my Sunn amp make model
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 04:44:29 pm »
If that amp has been sitting in the closet without being played for years, despite the fact that it works and sounds fine now, every electrolytic cap in the amp needs to be replaced. Most quality electrolytic caps made today last 10-15 years with optimum performance and the old caps were not as good. They start to degrade over time, and especially with non-use. The electrolyte paste inside the caps dries up, and causes the cap to not function as well as when new, eventually the cap loses it's ability to filter the hum out, or will physically leak the paste out, etc. If anyone was going to buy the amp, they would want to replace those caps first thing for reliability reasons. If you wanted to sell it for a higher price, depending on the buyer, replacing the caps could bring a higher or lower price. Just wanted to give you a heads up as it is one of the things that will come up when you try to sell it.

Greg

Offline vertigolady

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 07:39:56 pm »
Hi,
I recently posted since I have acquired a smiley face amp head. I am from Texas and I wish I could find a cab for my smiley face head which is awesome. Let me know if you still have yours and if you will be interested in liquidating. I am also intereseted in the Blonde Bassman. Let me know what year model and if still in your possesion. Anyways, I will post pics as soon as I can also. Mine has the original silvery tweed on the face and the paisley-like tolex.

Offline doslouie

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 09:42:36 am »
Not too hard to identify.  It is an early model Sunn, probably 1966.  The controls on the top were the pre amp section with a separate power amp.  Later models were on one chassis with the pre amp and power amp combined.  The covering was pre-Tolex and Sunn purchased it locally.  The name tag was before the Sunn logo was designed.  I assume it has 2 15inch JBL's in it and if you pull the back off and see plywood baffles around the speakers, it is a 200S.  Otherwise it is a 100S.  Not a lot of difference other than the cabinet and a little change in tone circuitry.
Norm Sundholm

Online Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 11:21:57 am »
Norm Sundholm? The legendary bass player for the Kingsmen?

Honored to have you here, sir!
Isaac

Offline madaradio

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 12:18:09 pm »
doslouie is the giveaway!

hi Norm!  Thanks for the great amplifiers!