Author Topic: Looking for first Sunn!  (Read 5026 times)

Offline Sunnson

Re: Looking for first Sunn!
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 06:53:32 pm »
thanks for all the help guys! it sounds like an s200 would be a wise choice for me personally.
ill check around, i know of a store that was supposed to be "referbing" 2 sunn heads but im not sure what they are since i only heard this down the stream so to speak.

also what cabs seem to be the best? any particular configuration or model or year to look for? also
are the sunn DELTA series solid state?

thanks again,

Ryan
looking for first sunn, please help!

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 09:16:50 am »
For guitar, I like my Sentura II. Some don't like the distortion from the Sunn tube amps, and I can understand why. It's bright and crunchy, rather like Keith Richards' tone on "Jumping Jack Flash". However, I find that it takes pedals well, and the Mid Boost switch changes the tone a lot, making the distortion much smoother. So for me, the Mid Boost switch is a must for guitar.

For bass, I like them all. The 200S, Sentura II and Model T all sound great, though not the same.

As far as speakers go, again, they're all different, and you'd have to try some out to find the one(s) that give you what you want.
Isaac

Offline Sunnson

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 07:10:13 pm »
Alright! it feels very nice to get some feedback from knowledgeable people.
thanks everyone!

Ryan
looking for first sunn, please help!

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 09:22:11 am »
I picked up a Solarus because the amp was so insanely clear and clean. However, it takes pedals very well, and that further sold me on the amp.  I like having something that is essentially a perfect blank canvas.  I can't say much for the tremolo or reverb, since neither do it for me, but the mid-boost should've been relabelled as a 'balls' switch.

Anyway, if you're interested in a solarus, I can think of two guys selling them at the moment.  Both are the 40watt versions(one of which was mine previously), and were perfectly suitable in hardcore bands, so you can be sure they'll put out in most situations.
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab