Author Topic: SUNN photos anyone??  (Read 53460 times)

Offline schmeck

Re: SUNN photos anyone??
« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2007, 05:21:55 pm »
Hi Oli,
It's not too difficult I at least don't think so, but I'm the wrong guy to ask. In the real world I own my own Flooring installation business (carpet, vinyl etc..) so for me it was easy the tolex too. The main thing for it to look good is to get it tight! so here's some pointers if you decide to tackle it. You want to start in one corner and finish in the opposite corner,pick any corner and staple it down a couple inch's each way from corner,
Then pull it tight to either corner that is on the same side as the one you started on, follow? Your opp corner is diag across from the starting one. Get it tight and staple it just enough to hold it, then staple it all the way down that side from starting corner to 1st stretch corner. Now stretch & staple whole opp. side from the first side that you completely stapled, start at the other corner and work towards the finish corner.
Then staple in between start corner and the corner in previous step, you should have just one side left to staple,pull it tight and staple going from 1st stretch corner towards the finish corner.Trim up the excess at the corners Kick back,admire your work, and enjoy beverage of choice. (couple cool licks works too...)
schmeck :-D

Offline Oli

• FEED YOUR HEAD!
« Reply #99 on: December 10, 2007, 06:26:08 am »
Hi,

cool! Thanks for the info. The front grill of my 350B looks really bad :|, I'll try to get an new one on it & post the pictures here. I think I can get the cloth on e-bay.

Greetings

Oli

P.S. Does not really belong to this tropic, but it would be great to work out a list where we can get all these little parts (like switches, corners, cloth etc.) or the stuff close to the original. There were already a lot mentioned on this page.
SUNN Sorado - 1969 / SUNN 2000S - 1970 / SUNN Sorado  - 1971 / SUNN 350B - 1973 / SUNN Coliseum 880 - 1973 / SUNN Concert Bass - 1972 / SUNN Concert Bass - 1979 / 2x SUNN 215B - 1970/75 / SUNN/SAD 2000S cab

Offline djc

« Reply #100 on: December 10, 2007, 05:51:58 pm »
great idea Oli.  is that possible? to begin compiling a file of 'Sunn parts list' detailing where to find them?

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2007, 12:36:04 pm »
Clockwise from top right:
Roland RE-201
Traynor YBA 1a Bassmaster
Sunn Solarus
Sunn 612s
Sunn 412L
Traynor YGC-412

(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: December 14, 2007, 05:24:28 pm »
Great collection and what's wrong with the 8-string basses?  I've got an old Hagstrom 8-string that rocks really well through my 2000S with two original JBL D140F speakers in the cabinet.

I find that the pickups on my Hagstroms are lacking. Not a lot of lows, not a lot of highs, either. A fair amount of midrange thump, though.
Isaac

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2007, 06:32:02 pm »
Clockwise from top right:
Roland RE-201
Traynor YBA 1a Bassmaster
Sunn Solarus
Sunn 612s
Sunn 412L
Traynor YGC-412

Are you sure that cabinet has six 12's? I think the only Sunn 6 X 12 was the 1200S cab (48"x30"x15"). It looks like a 42"x24"x15" 610S (Sunn Transducers), 610M (Sunn Magnas), 312S (Sunn Transducers), or a 312V (Cerwin Vegas) from the early 70's.
If it has six 12" drivers it would be the only 42"x24"x15" one I've ever heard of, and it doesn't appear in any of the Sunn literature I've collected.
Measure one of the drivers and see if it's 12" or 10". If it is six 12's, take some pictures while you're in there, and see if you can find any date codes or serial numbers.
Thanks!

Nice YBA by the way. Do you know about the easy plexi mod you can do to it? Makes that old Traynor scream!

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2007, 11:09:55 am »
It's probably a 612S, from the seventies. Angled baffles, like the 610S only more so, allowed six 12" drivers in a 24"x40" cabinet.
Isaac

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2007, 12:56:32 pm »
It's probably a 612S, from the seventies. Angled baffles, like the 610S only more so, allowed six 12" drivers in a 24"x40" cabinet.

I never heard of a 612S.* It certainly would be real a tight fit, especially if the angled baffle was externally braced between the drivers like a 610S. As has been discussed here ad infinitum, the 610S was listed as a guitar cabinet, at least in all of the literature I have. The 312S however was listed as a bass guitar cab. Any idea what the 612S was listed as, guitar or bass? I would imagine the lack of internal cabinet volume would seriously restrict the bottom, and with six 12's squeezed into that box, I can't imagine any room for a port.

*this is NOT to insinuate that it doesn't exist, just that I have never come across any reference to a 612S.

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #106 on: December 16, 2007, 09:52:12 am »
Hey, I'll try to stop by my space today and snap some photos.

It's definitely a 612s, and yeah, when I opened it up, I was amazed they could've fit all it all in there, but they do!  It's a 6ohm cabinet, and is rather thicky, and a tad bassy compared to my 412L, but chained together they sound awesome.  I'm going to run all three together when I'm less lazy, since I

I had a difficult time finding anything about it online, but I've found a few mentions of it on here.

I've heard of, but haven't read up on the Plexi mod.  Is there much info available on it from a particular trusted resource(not to get off-topic in terms of Sunn, but you've piqued my interest)?

I never heard of a 612S.* It certainly would be real a tight fit, especially if the angled baffle was externally braced between the drivers like a 610S. As has been discussed here ad infinitum, the 610S was listed as a guitar cabinet, at least in all of the literature I have. The 312S however was listed as a bass guitar cab. Any idea what the 612S was listed as, guitar or bass? I would imagine the lack of internal cabinet volume would seriously restrict the bottom, and with six 12's squeezed into that box, I can't imagine any room for a port.

*this is NOT to insinuate that it doesn't exist, just that I have never come across any reference to a 612S.
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2007, 09:38:47 am »

I think it was in the 1974 catalog. As I recall, none of the cabinets were specified as being strictly for guitar or bass. Everything was 'mix'n'match'. No port, and I agree about the lack of internal volume making it unsuitable for bass.
Isaac

Offline n!k

• N!
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2008, 06:48:03 pm »

My Sunn Amp:
1971 "Coliseum" Model T (Prototype, Made in Portland)

Offline broiler

« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2008, 12:51:40 am »
Here's some of my stuff.

Offline kismet78

« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2008, 04:20:57 pm »

Offline mc2

« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2008, 07:21:59 pm »

YEP!! The 612S cab does exist. I have one. I'd call it a guitar cab, not bass...although I have used it for the high end of a bi-amp bass rig on occasion. But I'm fairly sure it was meant as a guitar cab originally. When I got mine, the seller neglected to mention three blown speakers and  (unbelievably) I managed to find a set of four matching Sunn 12-inch correct replacements with SN#s FROM THE SAME MONTH, not even 30 minutes from me!! Talk about luck!

I think it was in the 1974 catalog. As I recall, none of the cabinets were specified as being strictly for guitar or bass. Everything was 'mix'n'match'. No port, and I agree about the lack of internal volume making it unsuitable for bass.