Author Topic: Does the Weber Coppertop SS rectifier plug have anything over other supplier's  (Read 1598 times)

Offline MikeL

I'm referring to Weber's WZ34(this would be for any of the 60w, 2 X 6650/KT88 amps). Is there a feature or quality of build that warrants it costing almost twice as much as the ones offered by JJ, Captain Bob's, Amplified Parts, New Old Sounds, and any others on Ebay? Specifically, this is for a Sorado(bass head), so yeah, I 'd want little sag, tight bass, and a little more wattage goosed out of it, in the manner of a 190B. It's been reported that the Coppertops actually recreate some sag; what's the point of that? What's the best buy in this situation?

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
If the goal is to maximize the power supply, a plug in is convenient but not the most efficient IMO. The rectifier is a big part of course, but the OEM filters are also notorious in Sunns/Dynacos, as has been discussed repeatedly on this forum.
Try a search, there are several different solutions to this issue that have been used by forum members that will provide interesting reading.

Offline Soundmasterg

The Weber Copper Caps are meant for a guitar player who wants to duplicate the sag and response characteristics of the tube rectifier. It also emulates the same voltage drop as the eqivilent tube rectifier. Unless you want to drop the voltage by the same amount as a tube rectifier would, there is no reason to use a Weber Copper Cap in a bass amp. In mine I did want to emulate that voltage drop so that is why I used one in my 200S. The other thing about my amp that changed and is more important is the filtering. Since I went with larger value caps than 60uf in the first filter section, a tube GZ34 can not handle those current requirements and will blow, so a solid state rectifier is required. Going with larger filtering will do more for a bass amp than going with a solid state rectifer vs a Weber Copper Cap. As long as you use either one with the larger filters, it doesn't matter. If you like the tone and the price difference, go with it. In my case, I liked the sound of the amp with the slightly lower voltage better than with the higher voltages, and didn't feel like revoicing the preamp and phase inverter to work around the voltage differences, and that is why I went with the Weber Copper Caps.

The others you mentioned are either solid state replacements, or copies of the Weber Copper Caps as far as the emulating voltage sag idea. You can go with 2 1N4007 diodes on the rectifier socket instead of any kind of plug in module and the amp will work just fine also, and those are like 10 cents each.

Greg