Author Topic: Vintage restoration of 200S  (Read 2189 times)

Offline Flip Downy

Vintage restoration of 200S
« on: February 27, 2017, 06:05:42 pm »
The band Diazepam used this same Sunn 200s on both albums, among other great amps.  I started cleaning it up, was a bit dusty, and inside I found that all components are original as well as the tubes except for the rec tube.  Even better I have a mess of unused vintage correct caps, the cornnell dublier type.  I was thinking about modding this amp until that point but think I ought to keep it original.  I will get pics up soon.   Here is the deal... the graphics are all faded off the chassis and I don't know where or if I can get that going or not for this amp, so any ideas are appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 07:04:02 pm by Flip Downy »

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Vintage restoration of 200S
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 06:44:22 pm »
The band Diazepam used this same Sunn 200s on both albums, among other great amps.  I started cleaning it up, was a bit dusty, and inside I found that all components are original as well as the tubes except for the rec tube.  Even better I have a mess of unused vintage correct caps, the cornnell dublier type.  I was thinking about modding this amp until that point but think I ought to keep it original.  I will get pics up soon.  I don't plan on keeping this amp either.  Just too damn clean for me.  Here is the deal... the graphics are all faded off the chassis and I don't know where or if I can get that going or not for this amp, so any ideas are appreciated.

Are you trying to sell it? If so, how much do you want for it? Come up with a price and I can move this to the Classified section.

Offline GrannyGremlin

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 08:37:53 pm »
the graphics are all faded off the chassis and I don't know where or if I can get that going or not for this amp, so any ideas are appreciated.

In such situations I usually print out the graphics on a transparency (like for overhead projectors), and mount it using the pot, jack, switch and existing screws to hold it on.  It's best if you print it mirror image so the ink is against the chassis protected by the back side of the transparency and doesn't just get worn off again.

... but I'd be keeping it vs selling, so...

Offline GrannyGremlin

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 10:50:35 am »
Yo Flip, is that your label-less 200s on ebay right now? 

Offline Flip Downy

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 07:31:30 pm »
No not my Sunn on there.  Woulda responded sooner but not a lot of internet at my place.  Now that transparency in mirror is one hell of an idea. .  Its too awesome to mod but just not what I am looking for, it could be very easily but its all original except for the rec tube.  I think I should tune it up before selling though as I have nos original cornell dublier caps that I was given for free and a couple of them are bulging, especially the .047 600V on the PT primary, and at shutdown I can hear the electro's leaking.
So for a transparency would you say it should be flimsy or a small mil plastic/ plexi?  Im not sure of any local place to print it, there are engravers and Im sure I can make it happen.  Anyone have the dimensions for the graphics?  Ill get pics up of this amp in a day or two for sure w/ gut shots too, then you can see that the pinstripe and everything else is completely worn off.  Other than that its surprisingly clean and the grill cloth on the face isn't torn up, a detailed cleaning and changing a few components and she will be so god damn sexy.

If I decide to sell it I will put it up in the classifieds.  I just want to get it looking and sounding good first. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 07:06:49 pm by Flip Downy »

Offline GrannyGremlin

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 01:11:00 pm »
I use just the flimsy stuff you can print at home.  Works great and you can't tell the diff except if up close.  Anything else might be too thick to be held down by existing hardware/screws.

Offline Flip Downy

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 07:10:08 pm »
I took that Idea up to this engraving shop and am getting quotes for that and an engraved plate to put on top.