Author Topic: Any ideas to muffle or temporarily fix a really loud Coliseum fan?  (Read 2309 times)

Offline n!k

• N!
My Coliseum bass head is deadly, but it sounds like a jet engine taking off with that
really loud fan! I suppose in the future I'll have to have the fan replaced (any recommendations on
which brand / size ?) but in the meantime is there anything I can do to muffle the sound
or temporarily fix it?
My Sunn Amp:
1971 "Coliseum" Model T (Prototype, Made in Portland)

rick.heil

Re: Any ideas to muffle or temporarily fix a really loud Coliseum fan?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 08:01:54 pm »
I would take the fan out (make sure everything is unpluged first), make sure that theres not a ton of dust sitting in the bearings.  Try wiping off the blades with a dry cloth, maybe blow the dust out of the bearings with one of those compressed air cans?

Worst case scenario you could probably get a new fan cheap.

Offline n!k

• N!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 09:20:57 pm »
Where does one go about getting a replacement fan? Do I need to find one based on size or are they pretty uniform in dimensions?
My Sunn Amp:

rick.heil

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 09:59:09 pm »
Getting a fan depends on two factors, size and voltage. I don't have that amp, and the schematics on this site don't show a fan (at least that I can see), so I cant tell you either really.  But you can find out yourself! Here's how:

Take the fan out (again, make sure things are unplugged), and look at the middle of the fan.  It probably has some sort of writing on it as to volts, amps, or something.  Write this down.  If there's nothing on the fan, try to trace the wires back to where they get to a power source.  If you're good with electronics, you should be able to tell if its hooked into the AC or DC circuit.  If not, then post a pic here and we'll try to figure it out with you.

Anyways, if/after you know what kind it is, measure it in inches AND millimeters (some fans are sold by mm, don't know why, just one of those things).

Then I would look at digikey.com, or another big electronics parts warehouse for a fan that has the same dimensions and voltage and current (amperes) ratings.  Also look at cf/m rating (cubic feet per minute), that tells you how much air the fan will move.  Might also have a dB rating for ambient noise, but I'm betting most are pretty quiet. 

Cost will vary depending on size and whether its AC or DC.

Offline n!k

• N!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 12:21:51 am »
Thanks a lot, man. I'll clean up that fan first and work on figuring out a replacement.

You know at least it's a Sunn amp and after 3 volume you won't be hearing the fan anymore.
My Sunn Amp:

rick.heil

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 12:42:31 am »
3 volume?  Wow, that must be a pretty loud fan   :-D

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 01:57:06 am »
I had to get a replacement fan for my SVT because it howls like a jet too. I haven't replaced it yet, but I did get the fan that I'll use. I don't recall where I got it, but its just an AC fan that is quiet and flows pretty good CFM. Once you know what the required specs of the fan are, then do a google search, or check places like Digikey, Mouser, Allied, etc. You should find something that will work well.

Greg