Author Topic: "Modern" Model T On eBay  (Read 5614 times)

Offline schrag

• Blueprint For Disaster
"Modern" Model T On eBay
« on: July 31, 2006, 08:45:47 pm »
I just bought one, and it looks like this one might go for cheap as well. $600 so far, and less than 2 days left. If I had the dough, I'd try to nab it myself.

Model T On eBay!

Someone get it!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 09:31:57 am by schrag »

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
Re: Reissue Model T On eBay
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 01:22:28 pm »
not to rain on yer parade-but why would anyone want a reissue Model T when the originals are on Ebay all the time?
there is enough evidence on the web that the reissues have very little to do w/ the originals as far as great guitar sound goes...
i say 'save for the O G Model Ts'
from a SUNN worshipper
staninsanfran
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 02:18:05 pm »

There is no such thing as a reissue model T.  Never has been and probably never will be as long as Fender owns the name.

Offline schrag

• Blueprint For Disaster
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 08:04:32 pm »

There is no such thing as a reissue model T.  Never has been and probably never will be as long as Fender owns the name.

Well... updated Model T then.  :wink:

not to rain on yer parade-but why would anyone want a reissue Model T when the originals are on Ebay all the time?
there is enough evidence on the web that the reissues have very little to do w/ the originals as far as great guitar sound goes...
i say 'save for the O G Model Ts'
from a SUNN worshipper
staninsanfran
Well, I own a Fender Sunn Model T, and I love it. So, yeah, there ya' go.

And pay $1,500 - $2,000 for an original? (I have seen them go for that much on eBay) No way. I can have one built for me for around $600.
I'm just not into the original ones. I like gain, and I don't like to use pedals. I've played original T's, and the Fender issue T, and prefer the recent one.

It's all a matter of personal taste. I'm sure there are people out there that say "Sunns? Why the hell would you play one of those?"

I've been playing Sunn amps since 1985, and the Model T I just bought is the best sounding one I have played through thus far.

The reason I posted this is I have seen people looking for them, and this is a logical place to post this info.

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 09:16:52 pm »

"updated" would imply improved over the original.  The Fender/sunn model T is nothing more than a high gain twin reverb in a head case with channel switching and effects loop added. It is a different amp, not an updated version of the original model T - it just happens to have the same name.

If you like it... fine.

Sorry, nothing personal.  It just irks me to have people say these are reissues and when someone does buy one expecting something like the original they find they haven't got anything even close.

But I do have to say, to Fender's credit, even they admit they are not reissues.

And when you go to the "official" sunn site, you will find a comment saying something to the effect that these amps are not made anymore and if you are looking for an amp go to fender.com.

Fender would never reissue an amp that would detract from their profits - even if they owned the company that did the reissue!!

Nuff said.

Offline schrag

• Blueprint For Disaster
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 09:23:51 am »

"updated" would imply improved over the original.  The Fender/sunn model T is nothing more than a high gain twin reverb in a head case with channel switching and effects loop added. It is a different amp, not an updated version of the original model T - it just happens to have the same name.

If you like it... fine.

Sorry, nothing personal.  It just irks me to have people say these are reissues and when someone does buy one expecting something like the original they find they haven't got anything even close.

But I do have to say, to Fender's credit, even they admit they are not reissues.

And when you go to the "official" sunn site, you will find a comment saying something to the effect that these amps are not made anymore and if you are looking for an amp go to fender.com.

Fender would never reissue an amp that would detract from their profits - even if they owned the company that did the reissue!!

Nuff said.
I guess you and I have different views on updated. I don't think it implies "improved." We all know that modernized things aren't necessarily improved (cars being the obvious example).
It uses the same name. "Reissue" and "Updated" don't work for you. It's just a way to differentiate the old Model T and the new one. When people get so irate (and I'm not saying you are) about little details, it reeks of snobbery. The "If you like it... fine" sounds condescending. I don't get it. They're just amps!

How would Fender having this amp available again detract from their profits? They own the Sunn name.  :? People want them again (judging from how much they'll pay on eBay). They would seem to profit from such a move.

rick.heil

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 09:26:57 am »
Personal preference is all over the place in everything about music.  Every person likes different guitars, pickups, cords, amps, monitor mixes, picks, strings, even sun glasses.  After a while, those preferences become prejudices against all other equipment it seems.

Yeah...I told my guitar teacher (who has been playing since the 1950s) that I had bought a Sunn since I had last seen him (a few years)...his first reaction was "Why the hell did you waste your money on that kind of crap?!?" For him, Sunn was a bass amp and PA system company, not a guitar amp company (then again, he is a fender lover.  But he has all the originals.  Including a first production run twin reverb that looks like it was made yesterday, all stock EVERYTHING. its pretty nice).

So anyways, I went to see him the other day and brought my beta lead along.  After about 10 minutes of fiddling with the controls and mumbling about how they weren't the usual setup, he found a tone that he liked.  I told him to mess with the other channel, and he comlied.  Then I put both the channels together, and his mouth fell wide open - he couldn't believe the sound coming from a solid state amp! He admitted to me later that the Beta Lead was the first EVER transistor amp he had played through, and he liked it!  How's that for crazy?

rick.heil

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 09:31:38 am »
re·is·sue
v. re·is·sued, re·is·su·ing, re·is·sues
verb, transitive

To issue again, especially to make available again.

update

verb

To make modern in appearance or style: modernize. See new/old.

I dunno, I think "update" does imply improvement.  Unless you're updating to Windows. :-p

But seriously, everything that is "updated" does improve, or at the very least change a little bit.  Your car example - yes, the principle is still the same, the engine is still relatively the same, but people have added more cylinders, valves, belts, gears, electronics and whatnot over the years.  Really, each addition makes it an update.

Usually, when Fender makes a "re-issue", they try to stick to the original as close as is humanly possible.  They made a few mods to the newer version (I avoided "re-issue" AND "updated" on purpose there), so technically it isnt a true reissue.  The argument could be made that if something has a slight modification (like a rectifier tube, or a different gauge cable, or a different speaker model, etc) it isnt a reissue, but we're talking something big here.  There apparently (I don't own either Model T) is a difference between the two, and I do agree with schrag - personal preference does play a big part - what you like depends on how you want to sound.  If you want higher gain without the pedals, then the newer version is yours.  if you dont need/want the extra gain or like first run amps, the older version is for you. 

I think the whole "purist" mentality between Sunn and Fender/Sunn amps is kinda skewed...my beta lead was made just after sunn was acquired by hartzel.  does that make it not an original sunn?  What about those that Conrad Sundholm produced before the company was officially "Sunn"? See what I'm saying?  There's no end to the divisions. 

My final thought is that we are here because we all have amps that say "Sunn" on the front, and they all kick some major ass.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 09:40:19 am by rick.heil »

Offline schrag

• Blueprint For Disaster
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 09:34:37 am »
update

verb

To make modern in appearance or style: modernize. See new/old.

I dunno, I think "update" does imply improvement.  Unless you're updating to Windows. :-p
It sure doesn't to me. But it fits the new T to a "t."
They made it have a modern appearance.

Offline schrag

• Blueprint For Disaster
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 04:45:04 pm »
I think the whole "purist" mentality between Sunn and Fender/Sunn amps is kinda skewed...my beta lead was made just after sunn was acquired by hartzel.  does that make it not an original sunn?  What about those that Conrad Sundholm produced before the company was officially "Sunn"? See what I'm saying?  There's no end to the divisions. 

My final thought is that we are here because we all have amps that say "Sunn" on the front, and they all kick some major ass.
Well put, 110% agreed. I was going to post something about the "purist" angle. Hell, even the Sunn logo on the amps we play aren't original. Believe it or not, I have had someone tell me my Beta Lead wasn't a "real" Sunn amp, because of the Hartzel acquisition, and it was solid state. Geez... I didn't even know what to say to the guy.

Yes, we have amps with the Sunn badge on 'em, and we think they rock!  :-D