Author Topic: Giving serious thought to selling all of my old Sunn gear.  (Read 4248 times)

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Giving serious thought to selling all of my old Sunn gear.
« on: July 14, 2019, 02:52:07 pm »
Let's face it, I'm not getting any younger. The old gear is cool, and sounds great, but it's so big and heavy. I rarely take any of it our anymore, and I'm looking at gettign small gear than what I'm presently using. The Sunn stuff, great as it is, mostly just takes up room in my house. I'm not there yet. I haven't convinced myself that it's the right thing to do, but I can see myself getting closer.
Isaac

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Giving serious thought to selling all of my old Sunn gear.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 11:12:22 am »
I feel your pain Isaac (LITERALLY, every time I heft a cabinet into a vehicle...  :wink:). Fortunately the only band I play in currently has a dedicated SR company, so all I gig with is a 200S head and an I-40, even my stage volume comes from fold back monitors, and still I'm semi actively looking for a 115 neo cab, or at least a neo driver for the I-40 to shave a few lbs.
The idea of wrestling a pair of 2000S cabs around isn't even on my radar, if need be I'd hire some labor when/if the inclination to drag out the big guns arises.
The fortunate thing is do I have space for all of my Sunn gear in my shop, and it's not bothering "anyone" (aka my wife).

I can't imagine selling yet, although I had some conversation with a backline company's owner a few years ago about how he felt he could probably get some interest by offering a big tube Sunn rig for national tours. They already primarily rent SVT rigs, wouldn't be much more as far as logistics, and a couple of 2000S rigs would certainly make for an unique option.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 09:22:37 am »
A 200S rig for a tour? That wold be killer! Especially if one has roadies to hump the gear!

None of my gear is quite that big. Biggest is the Fender-era Model 215 cabinet. I brought that and the Model 410H to a gig a month or two ago. Looked great, but really, nobody seemed to care.

I have a 200S rig I use at rehearsals and for very local gigs. Another band, I just use a Digitech multieffect unit and line out to the PA from there. When I need a rig these days, it's an Avatar 2x10 and a rack setup, which is about to be replaced by a class D head. I, too, am thinking neo, but I still have some lovely old AlNiCo V JBL drivers. They're not all that heavy...
Isaac

Offline ducatidoc

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 09:29:30 am »
You two are starting to depress a fellow old-timer.  When I was 19 I used to sling around a 215S/Concert Bass rig like it was my gym bag. Now I just get my kid to do the serious lifting. But here's a perfect movie reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMUZWEKJGJU

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 08:41:36 am »
I can still get the gear in, set it up, play, tear it down, pack it up, and get it home. But the next morning, I realize, I really am getting too old for this shit. :(
Isaac

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 09:34:50 am »
I just use a Digitech multieffect unit and line out to the PA from there. 

HERESY !!!  :x
Awfully convenient though...  :wink:

I can still get the gear in, set it up, play, tear it down, pack it up, and get it home. But the next morning, I realize, I really am getting too old for this shit. :(

As I mentioned, I'm down to a 200S and an I-40 with a K140 in it. I put a Heil PR40 in front of it and give that to the console. My band is on in ears, which I can't seem to adapt to, so also I carry a JBL PRX812W (40 lbs) foldback for stage volume. Not a bad load in/out, yet I still seriously contemplate retiring from playing live after every gig.  :-D

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 09:01:32 am »
I bought a class D amp on Monday. Well, technically, I ordered it. Should arrive on Monday.  Rated at 2000 watts "total power", estimated 500 watts RMS. 8 lbs.

As for the old JBLs, the ceramic magnet varieties tend to run around 22 lbs, while the AlNiCo drivers run 14-16 lbs. So, there's a savings there, but neodymium drivers run more like 8 lbs.
Isaac

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 09:53:54 am »
I bought a class D amp on Monday. Well, technically, I ordered it. Should arrive on Monday.  Rated at 2000 watts "total power", estimated 500 watts RMS. 8 lbs.

As for the old JBLs, the ceramic magnet varieties tend to run around 22 lbs, while the AlNiCo drivers run 14-16 lbs. So, there's a savings there, but neodymium drivers run more like 8 lbs.

I carry a GK MB200 in my gig bag, 7.75" x 8" x 1.75", 2 lbs. Only about 100 watts with an 8 ohm load, but it has a DI out and can easily (and very quickly) sub for my rig in case of a catastrophic mid set failure with my 50+ year old gig gear.

I used a Thiele spec'ed vented reference cab for an R&D session at Reeves a few weeks ago, loaded with a Faital 15PR400. It felt like it was unloaded, easy one hand lift. It had been being used as a bench in their tube testing/burn in room for a couple years and no one had any idea if it was loaded, or what might be in it if it was. I pulled the grill, saw a cone and then used a multimeter to estimate the nominal impedance before I plugged into it. The cab is a lighter construction than my I-40, and I didn't weight it, but it had to be half the weight of my Sunn 115 or less.
Really got the neo cab wheels spinning in my old man head... I suggested they just give me that cab, and I'd replace it with a suitable table for testing room use. They didn't bite though.  :-D

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 09:08:35 am »
I just have so many 15" drivers laying around already. It doesn't make sense for me to buy another.

On the other hand, if I were to sell some first...
Isaac

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 10:24:48 am »
I just have so many 15" drivers laying around already. It doesn't make sense for me to buy another.

On the other hand, if I were to sell some first...

I get it, it's a vicious circle. I haven't heard a 15" neo driver that rivals a D or K series JBL tonally, they have an almost organic feel to them that the neo's don't, can't explain it technically, but the neo's seen kind of stark and lifeless by comparison. Similar to. but not as dramatic as the difference between a tube out put stage compared to a transistor amp. The neo's don't sound bad, just different.

There is no denying the practicality advantage of Class D and neo cabs to aging players who have to move their own gear though! For the past 3 years I've been playing in a pop rock band that gigs mostly festivals, this time of year we play pretty much every week, occasionally even two or three times a week. On the other hand, from September through April we might play twice. Every "season" my body reacts more poorly, and about this time of year I start thinking about running direct; but the awesome and irreplaceable tone of a Sunn tube amp through a mic'ed AlNiCo JBL cab has (so far) kept me lugging heavy gear...  :wink:

Offline D.M.N.

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 10:29:01 am »
Well look, if you guys ever want to offload some kit, I'm more than happy to give amps a loving home.  :wink:
House of the Rising Sunn........
-----------------------------------
1969 2000s
1972 2000s
1970 1200s
1968 1000s
1969 200s
2010 2000s DIY 2x15
1971 2000s 2x15
1969 2000s 2x15
1972 2000s 2x15
1968 1000s 2x15
1970 1200s 6x12

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 08:28:32 am »
Gotta happen sooner or later.
Isaac

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2019, 09:17:52 am »
Gotta happen sooner or later.

Regretfully that's spot on.  I'm at the "I still have room for what I've got, but I would have to trip over a SERIOUS deal in order to add to the collection" stage.

Offline Ryan Phelps

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 08:09:33 am »
Well Issac, I'm at a similar point. I'll be 65 in September. I have 7 Sunn heads, 7 speaker cabinets and 1 combo (Stage Bass) and need to start letting this stuff go.  :-(