Author Topic: transformer help who makes um?  (Read 2709 times)

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
transformer help who makes um?
« on: July 14, 2011, 11:48:34 pm »
anyone know who makes good transformers besides mercury and hammond mfg,
any help is good help need trannys between 14 watts to 30 watts
1975 Sunn model T
2007Crate Blue voodoo BV 120(mercury magnetics upgraded)
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Creepy fingers harakiri superfuzz
Creepy fingers doomidrive
Earthbound Audio supercollider
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: transformer help who makes um?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 09:23:43 am »
Heyboer builds to spec, but they aren't cheap if that's why you are looking beyond Mercury and/or Hammond. You could source them from Asia cheap, but you would need to buy a bunch of them to get the price down.
Don't you have a connection at Mercury helping you with the "Mini Model T" project? They can certainly build whatever you need, and they make good stuff.

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 10:49:07 am »
If you just need cheap and decent, and you are willing to go with transformers that are similar to Fenders and Marshalls, about the cheapest good quality around is Ted Weber's offerings. www.tedweber.com . They are made in Asia but are quite good.

Heyboer are more expensive, but very good, and they will build you something to suit. Mercury Magnetics makes some great stuff, but is way overpriced to my eyes. Once you buy enough of them, then you get into their preferred camp, and then their transformers are just a bit overpriced, but you will have spent a lot of extra money to get to that point.

Greg

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 01:14:07 pm »
well i have the reduced pricing with mercury now but still really expensive i dont mind spending the money on the mini t but i was hopeing to get something a little cheaper that way if something goes bad wrong i'm not out $415 for trannys, sounds like this ted weber may be my best choice for now.

BTW mini T is coming along quite well so far i have the preamp almost complete waiting on tube sockets to come in and as far as power still working that out but for now may use a 4 el84 power section until i find what i'm looking for or rather listening for.

thanks for the help ed and sound
1975 Sunn model T
2007Crate Blue voodoo BV 120(mercury magnetics upgraded)
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Creepy fingers harakiri superfuzz
Creepy fingers doomidrive
Earthbound Audio supercollider
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline jaywalker

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 08:18:20 am »