Author Topic: Sunn Keyboard  (Read 2599 times)

Offline ryco

Sunn Keyboard
« on: August 11, 2013, 03:44:32 pm »
A buddy says Sunn used to make an actual keyboard. I know they made Concert and Coliseum keyboard amps, but not actual musical keyboard instruments. Right?
Nothing comes up on Google/Bing.
<%+

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
Re: Sunn Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 04:43:01 pm »
AFAIK Sunn never manufactured an actual organ. In the early days I think a couple of Hammond B3s were re-packaged to make them more portable. They were covered in tolex and Sunn badges were attached. I can't emagine a B3 without a 122 or 147 Leslie so they must have done a couple of those too.

Edit: I think there was a lawsuit where Hammond suited Sunn for putting the Sunn badge on their product.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 04:53:58 pm by loudthud »

Offline GILLMANROYCE

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 09:22:11 am »
ACTUALLY, it was a Hammond M3 which was cut down and put into a Vox Continental Organ - looking black tolexed box for Merrilee (Rush) and The Turnabouts - Seattle circa 1966-70.  Don't remember if there was a Sunn logo on it or just plain. Not too many other N.W. keyboardists used one - if any. Most lugged the M3(Dynamics/Springfield Rifle) - I think Don Galluci( Don & The Goodtimes) used the B3. The M3 was cheaper & lighter to move and sounded much fuller than the Vox and most played sitting down( B3) if standing(M3).Some guys cut off the bottom of B3's - the phrase ' chopped Hammond ' became common. Sunn supplied the backline at the Teenage Spectaculars staged every summer at the old Seattle Coliseum - there probably was one there though I have a photo of The Springfield Rifle performing in front of a Sunn backline( they owned & played Fender Dual Showmans) but Terry Afdem is seen playing a Vox . I'd have to check my Sunn catalogs to see if they actually listed it.

Offline Happy Face

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 05:38:27 pm »
There's a trip down memory lane! Thanks.

Offline patlaw

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 06:50:58 pm »
The Kingsmen ("Louie Louie") had a B3 or M3 chopped and covered with Sunn Tolex. I saw it up close, but that was 100 years ago. Norm Sundholm was in the band. Barry Curtis was playing the keyboard.