Author Topic: A Source for Cheap Black Grill Cloth  (Read 3220 times)

Offline wildbill96

A Source for Cheap Black Grill Cloth
« on: July 27, 2010, 11:17:58 am »
Just a tip for anyone looking for a budget grill cloth replacement.  I recently picked up a pair of Sunn Concert Monitors for $80 at my local Music-Go-Round.  After a lot of elbow grease scrubbing the smoke residue out of the tolex the cabinets looked so good I decided that new grills were in order too.  Rather than doing the Wendell Fabric mail order thing again (as I did on my 412s cabinets) I did a little research on-line and found that folks out there were using outdoor sun shade fabric for budget grill cloth.  After trips to both Lowe's and Home Depot with no luck (even though they both use the stuff out in their garden centers to shield their nursery stock) on a tip from a friend I went to a local Harbor Freight store where I found an 8' x 10' black mesh tarp/sunshade for $22.  These tarps are woven out of PVC thread and are very strong and resistant to tears.  The grills on the monitors look great against the white baffle boards, are acoustically transparent and I still have plenty of extra "fabric" for my next project.  I will try to post some photos of them when I have a chance to snap a few.
'72 Coliseum 880
'72 412s x 2
'79 Concert Monitors x 2
'73 Studio Lead

Offline Walt-Dogg

Re: A Source for Cheap Black Grill Cloth
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 03:30:53 am »
Too my knowledge, if the Concert in the title of your monitors has any relation to the matching cabs for late 70's Concerts. The cloth is the same as current Ampeg SVT Classic cabinets. So keep that in mind when you're looking.
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Squier Precision Bass MIJ
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone Bluesbreaker 2x12
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810

Offline wildbill96

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 09:01:30 am »
Here's a photo after we cleaned them up and replaced the original grill cloth with the black mesh material.
'72 Coliseum 880
'72 412s x 2
'79 Concert Monitors x 2
'73 Studio Lead

Offline HRobert

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 05:16:45 pm »
Bill,

They look very nice.  Nice job.

Offline John Matrix

• Art Things
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 05:22:57 pm »
That does look great. The grill cloth on my 412L is looking pretty shwag. This would be a nice replacement. It shows off the white of the baffle a lot more.
http://archradish.blogspot.com

Beta Lead 212, Concert Lead into a 412L, Schecter Tempest Classic