Author Topic: SUNN 412L Wiring Questions  (Read 2716 times)

Offline jonathanwarf

SUNN 412L Wiring Questions
« on: July 21, 2012, 11:42:09 am »
I'm a newbie at amp modification and i just put new speakers in my sun 412L cabinet. They're all 16 ohm speakers. I just don't understand the wiring of a 412L. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how many ohms the cabinet itself is now after putting in the four 16 ohm speakers. Nothing was changed I just put the new speakers in the old one's places. If anyone could answer this question that would help a lot!

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: SUNN 412L Wiring Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 11:51:17 pm »
What impedance were the old speakers, and what was the impedance of the total cabinet? That will provide the answer to your actual question; however...
Most 412's are wired series/parallel and the total impedance is then the same as one of the individual drivers, and if your 412L was wired that way you will end up with a 16 ohm cabinet if you just swap drivers. Your options for using four 16 ohm speakers are either 64 ohms, 16 ohms, or 4 ohms total cabinet impedance.
64 ohms is pretty much impractical for most applications, so your choices are basically 16 ohms or 4 ohms.
What are you going to use to power the cabinet, and how many cabs are you going to use?

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: SUNN 412L Wiring Questions
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 12:01:56 am »
Also, quit posting the exact same question in multiple topics. After I answered you I noticed it was a double post, pick the appropriate topic and leave it at that.
The only reason I left this thread open is so you could see what I'm referring to.
Thanks in advance for your cooperation!