Author Topic: Mid 70's 115S Cab  (Read 1709 times)

Offline bigobassman

• "You can't have too much bass."
Mid 70's 115S Cab
« on: January 04, 2016, 08:44:08 pm »
After having bought this really nice 115S cab nearly two years ago, I've finally found a great speaker for it.  It didn't have the original in it when I bought it, but had a nice, and somewhat rare, 1978 CTS with the bronze frame and white dust cover.  After looking and looking and looking some more, I've ended up with a few years old Electro-Voice DL15ST in excellent condition.  It got here Saturday.  I spent Sunday afternoon enlarging the speaker opening a bit for a proper fit.  This afternoon, mounted the EV and hooked it to a '79 Beta Bass head (the closest head available) for a test run.  I made a perfect choice.  Sounds excellent.  I can only imagine it will be even more impressive with a stouter head, since this speaker is a 400 watt RMS monster.  For fun, I added a second 1x15 cab that I've recently acquired, a 1974 Music Man.  It is nearly the same dimensions as the Sunn 100S, and it's loaded with a JBL K140. This gave me the use of the full 100 watts of the Beta. The smile got even bigger!

Anyone interested in the CTS, it's now available.
"You can't have too much bass."

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Mid 70's 115S Cab
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 10:23:57 am »
I'm not interested in the CTS, but I wish I could get my hands on a 115S cabinet. I used to have one, back in the 70s. It's on my list of things I wish I'd never sold.
Isaac

Offline bigobassman

• "You can't have too much bass."
Re: Mid 70's 115S Cab
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 11:34:21 am »
I understand Isaac.  Over the years I've sold a few things that I regretted later.  One way to become hoarder, but a happy one!  You may get a pretty good price for your stuff, but it's only money, and if you're not needing the cash for something specific, it gets gone and you've got nothing to show for it.  Often times, you may not see another like you had, or it's gotten real expensive. 

I'm still loving the 100S with that EV!
"You can't have too much bass."