Author Topic: Restoring Sunn 215B Cab  (Read 15859 times)

Offline ZiggyDude

Restoring Sunn 215B Cab
« on: February 06, 2011, 03:52:40 pm »
Greetings!

I just got my first Sunn cab!  It is the 215B, white wood, clear black grill, original speakers with the tiny cones and square magnet.  

Anyway - someone goofed about inside it some.  It apparently was rattling and they reinforced it with wood blocks, screws, not sure what else.  There is also some sort of stuffing in there and styrofoam.  I was looking about some other threads here and it seems that some of that may be stock and some not.  So, I was hoping for some help on what I should change (or not change) to get this right.

Pics on the way.

Thanx,

- Ziggy -

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 08:31:36 pm by EdBass »

Offline ZiggyDude

Re: Restoring Sunn 215B Cab
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 05:50:35 am »
Well – here we go!  Refurb entry step one!

Today I took the speakers out and looked about inside.  I shot a ton of pics.  The ones that fit best I cropped and tried to fit in.  With the grill off - this is my starting point.

Wheels
The cab has wheels screwed on the bottom.  They are obviously not factory and are coming off.  The stock receptacles are still on the side.  I bet they are the same size as the old Ampeg and Acoustic.  This is good as the Ernie Ball castor set will pop right in.  So – that is set.

Rubber Feet
There are no feet on the bottom.  Four feet are on the same side as the pop in wheel receptacles.  So, my question here – is that correct?  Should there be feet on that side?  If not I will take them off and put them on the bottom.

Interior Construction.
There is a board – about 6” wide – that runs from the back to front of the cab between the two speakers.  Reinforcing the cab I would say.  It looks stock – is that so?  Apparently it was put on with nails and was loose.  The guys that sold it to me used drywall screws through the front of the cab to secure it and also put little blocks of wood, glue, and screws about it to secure it.  I will repaint the front so at least the black screws don’t make a toothy grin on the white wood between the two speakers.  They also put a few other wood strips to reinforce it – I need look to see if they are required.

Interior Insulation.
White Styrofoam is installed inside the cab on two sides.  Vertically on the side across from the port and also the bottom.  Fiberglas like insulation is on the back of the cab.  There is no insulation on the top of the cab.  There is no insulation on any surface touching the port except the bottom of the cab.  Once again – how much is that correct?

Hardware.
A piece of one handle is cracked off.  If anyone has a spare handle to sell please let me know.  The back plate is fairly clean.  There is a serial number that looks like “S 08312”.  The word “Sunn” has the middle “un” gone.  So it looks like “s  n”.  I wonder how to paint that back!

Speakers.
Two Sunn 145 speakers.  One has a white sticker on the magnet and the other a silver.  The white one was made in Kentucky and the silver was Oregon.  The white sticker one has “0145 08 510  2988” stamped on the magnet.  The silver sticker one has nada on the magnet but there is 82-6127 on the inside of the speaker cone.  I think that might be same as on the white tag speaker.  The white tag speaker also has “510” and 3153” stamped on the sticker.  I am curious if one was a replacement speaker and if so which was the original?

Tolex
Pretty good!  The back is starting to peal off – I will eventually try to glue it back.  Any ideas how are welcome.  In the past I found Elmer’s Glue good and use painters tape to hold the tolex in place until it dries.  The tape does not get glued on the cab for some reason – comes right off.  Any holes from moving the wheels or rubber bumpers I can plug and then cover with this liquid rubber stuff I have.  Patches up pretty good.

So, for now, just a few questions.  The big ones are about the rubber feet and the insulation that I need info on right away.  I play on Saturday and would love to have this all ready to go.  Let it be standing tall and looking good for its first job!!!!!

- Ziggy -

Offline bigobassman

• "You can't have too much bass."
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 08:23:47 pm »
Hey Ziggy - congrats on the cab pick up.  I love doing what you're beginning to do.  Not sure how bad the tolex peeling is, but if it's just small sections and peel back spots, I've found that super glue type stuff works real good.  One of those products comes with a small brush that works better than squeeze on.  You just don't have a lot of time to work with it before it sticks, but it works very well.

Keep us posted.   8-)
"You can't have too much bass."

Offline ZiggyDude

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 08:27:14 pm »
Thanks much-much on the tip!!!!!!!!!!

I was going to try warm it with heat lights and wet it to soften and put back - but your idea is less severe and better to try first.

I am a bit stunned on no replies regarding the insualtion and rubber feet.  Why?  I can not believe this thing is rare - someone must know.

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 08:57:39 pm »
i have one of those-unfortunately dont know much about it. never opened it up. it works great.
mine has rubber feet right next to the castors and also on the long end-if you want to stand it up-which i normally do. sorry cant be of more help. you got a good one there!
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline ZiggyDude

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 09:09:13 pm »
You did help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did a Google search for pics and found them with and with out.  You are now telling me that it is both.  Also - I think that the feet on the castor side I have are original from the pics I found.  Rather large and do not have a steel insert inside.

This is an advancement!  I will take off the lower castors and plug those offensive holes.  Then take feet on side that are a pain and put on the bottom.  So far "Stock".  But makes it eaier to load.  An "Action Item" is to then get four more feet to set things right for the side someday.  I will also get the EBMM wheels to get this baby a rolling.

In the same Google search I found that the front to back brace is correct and that I also need to remove the "Fluffy Stuff" on the back wall.  I am still in limbo on the styrofoam.

Thanks to all that take the time to help return this Sunn to being new again.

Offline Walt-Dogg

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 05:05:39 pm »
Ok now that you've got pics, and some answers I'll do some clarification work for you since I have my near-mint and more or less stock 215B right here with me in my apartment.

There are supposed to be four rubber feet on the bottom with NO casters and four rubber feet on the right side of the cab (front facing you) with casters which are directly above and below the rubber feet.

There is a brace in the middle of the cab and no insulation (though this tends to vary but I've never had a Sunn cab of the Hartzell era
with insulation in it).

As for speakers, mine has Electro-Voice Series II EVM-15Bs, can't say for certain if they're stock but they've got the biggest magnets I've ever seen on any speaker.
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Squier Precision Bass MIJ
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone Bluesbreaker 2x12
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810

Offline ZiggyDude

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 09:36:08 pm »
Interesting - this post just got moved and all the links to the pics got hosed.  I guess I will need to edit that.  As a "Newbie" here I guess I need to know what caused this.  Just learning - no attitude.

Offline ZiggyDude

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 09:45:10 pm »
Step 2

After help from folks I think I have enough information to get started. It seems that the rubber feet I have on the long end are original. I guess so you could lay that long port on the floor. The feet surprised me as they are actually quite pristine. They are a pain while loading the rig though – and I noticed that at least one looks like it was hit and is partially knocked crooked. My plans for now are to relocate them to the bottom. They are also quite tall and get the cab higher off the floor than one would normally want - so I might look for lower ones and preserve the pristine feet for a time this stays on display.  For now - this guy is going giggin'.

Here is a pic of my starting point. Man – this baby has ugly feet!

Anything mounted with hex head screws that size is going to be massive. It took a ratchet wrench and some good twisting to get them off. By looking at all the sawdust, wood in the tracks of the screws, and the way the tolex is torn up you can really see the damage.  It is hard to see in photo - but wood lives in the grooves of the screws.

All four off. Not a pretty sight! I had to pour myself a stiff drink.

An examination of the bottoms showed they came from a little hardware store in Michigan. I am in Pennsylvania. I am curious the story how the cab got here for me to acquire in a Craigslist ad. Was it someone’s Ebay victory? Someone moved? If only it could talk.

OK – can anyone guess what this wood is for?  Hey!  How did that fluid level go up???

- Ziggy -
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 09:36:37 pm by ZiggyDude »

Offline ZiggyDude

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 09:47:14 pm »
OK - finally got this right.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 10:54:42 am by ZiggyDude »

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 08:00:50 am »
For Tolex gluing, I use Titebond Liquid Hide Wood Glue. It was recommended to me by a fellow who restores vintage amps and cabs here in St. Louis, and has worked really well for the repairs I've had to make.
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline Walt-Dogg

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 02:36:33 pm »
Ziggy, this just came to mind. When mounting the Ernie Ball casters to the side, DO NOT just start screwing them in, bore the holes wider for the screws that come with the set, Sunn used smaller screws with the original casters, which I still have BTW if you're interested (took mine out just because I didn't wanna wreck them). And I wouldn't bother moving the feet, your best bet would be putting some temporary ones on the bottom til you find an original set.
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Squier Precision Bass MIJ
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone Bluesbreaker 2x12
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810

Offline ZiggyDude

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 07:56:13 pm »
Hi Walt

Thanks for the Heads Up.  It is much appreciated.  I did not have to take out the old castor receivers - the EBMM just popped in.  The EBMM were tighter than the Sunn ones - but definitely OK for domestic use.

Actually – you bring up the most interesting point.  Fromt the concept of “Restoration” does one stay with the somewhat dulled and corroded female units or put in bright and shiny new units?  After all – I have them with the set.  It would make the cab sparkle and shine.  If this was a car and folks were rebuilding for a car show it would be a no brainer – put in the new ones.  After all – you are trying to take this “Old Workhorse” and make it stand tall and be proud.  But the alternative idea is to preserve all that once was and is was. 

I think that Spock did that thing with the passing of others in some brain meld finger thing. But returning to Earth – a future question to debate is if I should replace the female halves of the castors….

Offline ZiggyDude

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 08:34:25 am »
I got a bunch of pics shot and did more work - taking some time to get it all edited right before I post here.  But for now - I need ask about the white paint.  Does anyone know if that is latex or oil based?  I am going to need paint over the white area.

Thanx,

- Ziggy -