Author Topic: Power transformer for the coliseum lead head  (Read 1423 times)

Offline bpod

Power transformer for the coliseum lead head
« on: May 20, 2007, 08:55:49 pm »
So first off, I'm largely gear illiterate. I've played through sunn and know that it gets the sound I want, but beyond that I'm a little behind in terms of learning the in and outs of the mechanical make-up of amps. So, onto the question.

I'm looking into buying a friend's coliseum lead head for my guitar pretty soon. He lives about 50 miles from me so I haven't seen it that much, but from what he says it's in great condition save for a busted power transformer. So the specific question is what power transformer would I look for in this head model? I found this site http://www.triodeelectronics.com/dytr.html but I'm a little unsure about which one I should be looking into. I saw the one labeled for the sunn amps, but you never can be too sure. Everything in the sunn head is as it was, nothing been replaced over the years, so I was wondering if someone else out there would be able to take a looksy and let me know. Thanks for any help!

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
Re: Power transformer for the coliseum lead head
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 09:35:28 am »

The coliseum lead is a solid state amp. The triode electronics transformers are for tube amps.

Unfortunately I don't have a schematic for the coliseum, and they were different through the years although the power supply might have remained fairly constant.

How does your friend know the power transformer is "busted"?

Offline djc

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 09:37:35 am »
I just replaced the power transformer in my 200s, all tube amp.  I bought the transformer from triode I think it was a P782.  that is labelled for the Sunn amps.  but I think the coleseum is solid state, probably different and I'm not sure if triode has that.  when you search for Sunn the 782 comes up.  I could be wrong and they may be the same part.  but transformers on tube amps are as big as your head and likely won't fit in the coleseum.  as for triode, great company, they did well for me.

Offline bpod

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 08:15:56 pm »

The coliseum lead is a solid state amp. The triode electronics transformers are for tube amps.

Unfortunately I don't have a schematic for the coliseum, and they were different through the years although the power supply might have remained fairly constant.

How does your friend know the power transformer is "busted"?

According to him, when the power is turned on the light will infrequently light up and the amp will only make a slight hum. Essentially, the amp has no real power.

And yea, it struck me yesterday after making the post that those were all tube transformers when I needed a solid-state.  I'm just gonna try picking up the head soon and get it inspected at my local and trusted music shop. In the meantime, if there definetly is a transformer problem, can anyone point me to a place where they've had success in finding a good replacement?