Author Topic: Sunn Concert Lead Impedence & Preampout/Poweramp in Ques  (Read 2547 times)

DonaldDemon

Sunn Concert Lead Impedence & Preampout/Poweramp in Ques
« on: April 22, 2005, 12:13:52 pm »
I am buying a Concert Lead head today and wanted to know what the ohms are on the speaker out connections. Also wanted to know if the preamp out/poweramp in jacks can be used for an efx loop? The amp needs some work but will serve my purpose when tuned up. I just hope I can get a pedal to work the distortion! Any help on these ?????????

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 06:12:20 pm »
The output jacks on a Concert Lead are in parallel. The output must be at least 4 ohms. That's one 4 ohm cabinet, or two 8 ohm cabinets. Or four 16 ohm cabinets, if you have 'em!
Isaac

DonaldDemon

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 06:32:45 am »
Outputs are paralell on a Concert Lead? I only have a 16 ohm 4x12 cabinet. Will that do any damage?? I always thought that at least the amps omhage are lower than the cabinet you will be Ok.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 08:50:50 am »
Right on both counts. The minimum load impedance of the concert Lead is 4 ohms. As long as the total impedance of the cabinets you use is 4 ohms or greater, you and the amp will be fine. Your cabinet is 16 ohms, so that's fine. You should be aware, though, that you'll be getting only about 50 watts output at that impedance.

Using the preamp out/power amp in as an effects loop should be fine, as long as the effects can handle the line level signal.
Isaac

DonaldDemon

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 02:52:52 pm »
Thanks. I figured it was ok. 50 watts is PLENTY loud enough for this head. Any louder and I will rupture a vessel in my head. I can't put it past 2 in our practice space! I would like to get another cabinet eventually so I can keep my 4x12 ready to go for live performances and keep the other cab always hooked up to the Sunn. I played it last night for the first time at practice and I was pleased. I just need a better distortion pedal cause the DS-1 is not cutting it.  Any suggestions on a nice full sounding distortion pedal?

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 10:22:11 am »
Personal taste controls what people like in distortion pedals, as in most things. I like my old MXR Distortion +, and have never felt a need for another. Your opinion will almost surely differ.
Isaac