Author Topic: Sunn Stinger 100 Amp  (Read 2719 times)

Offline Blue1Solo

Sunn Stinger 100 Amp
« on: July 03, 2018, 03:36:52 pm »
My Grandson picked me up a Sunn Stinger 100 Amp that I have been trying to find out information about. I contacted Sunn/Fender and all they had was a owners manual that they sent to me. I do not know the age of this amp,and from what I understand from others that it did not have a fan base. On the back of the amp, theirs a sticker ST-100 01123. also on the frame it says Fender Musical Instruments, Brea,California. It also has a Fender QC Sticker..Also on the top right rear..it states Made in Taiwan! So..what do I got here? Thanks.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Sunn Stinger 100 Amp
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 08:12:39 am »
I can't help. Never heard of it before.
Isaac

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 01:24:16 pm »
I saw one for sale at a music store some years ago, it had been traded in along with a Sunn Mustang guitar. Interesting to me as a representation of Fender trying to get some ROI on their acquisition of Sunn perspective, but not enough to actually consider buying a licensed out Asian "Sunnder" transistor combo.
Hows it sound?

Offline Blue1Solo

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 04:58:06 pm »
EdBass.. channel one is clean..sunn type clean.different from fender..channel two has good break up w/reverb and for a amp its size, it can  get really loud..enough for a small to medium club gig with a heavy handed drummer. many people say its close to fenders red knob style amps of the 80s-90s..and I have used and played through many different amps..tubes and solid state..and how it sounds to me is close to fenders stage lead 100..but..that my opinion! Sound is Very Subjective! (I did not know that Sunn had a Guitar line!)Thanks.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 05:39:44 am »
All of that era Sunn stuff was Fender products wearing Sunn clothes. Some pretty cool gear, some not, but Fender all the way through. Very few guitars, I believe they were made alongside Squiers,
The Sunnder 300T bass amp and T50 guitar amps are pretty cool amps IMO; Fender to the core, but cooler looking in their Sunn clothes.

Offline Blue1Solo

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 09:51:58 am »
We went to a club last night and the Lead Player was using a Fender Stage Lead II..and its exactly the same set up as my Sunn Stinger 100! I guess it is a re-branded Fender amp with a Sunn Label on it! The only difference on the amps was the Name Brand, and his is made in Japan, and mine is made in Tiawan..otherwise they are the same amp! I learn something new every day! Thanks to All..!