Author Topic: Ultimate 4x12 Search  (Read 7679 times)

Offline Walt-Dogg

Ultimate 4x12 Search
« on: September 29, 2011, 12:50:23 am »
I'm on a hunt for the best speaker cab I can get to thicken my sound with. I'm running my Dan Armstrong, tuned to C standard, straight into my MIG100 H and Marshall 1982A (4x12, 16 ohm, 400 watts G100[H] speakers). I don't have *too* much a of a budget since I have $200 of the cab paid for and I have a cost discount at Guitar Center, the cab has just gotta be 16 ohms mono and have parallel jacks for daisy chaining my MIG's single 8 ohm tap with the 1982A. I don't really know too much about what's out there so I'm open to just about any suggestions since  and I am open to vintage and used cabs too. Also the cab may also be used my Model T or with an Orange AD30.
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Squier Precision Bass MIJ
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone Bluesbreaker 2x12
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810

Offline rot gut

Re: Ultimate 4x12 Search
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 09:21:40 am »
what do you mean by thicken? low end?

Offline Walt-Dogg

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 06:53:45 pm »
Yes and no. More like all around thicker, or at least to fill the gaps that a slant 4x12, with what are essentially bass drivers, has.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 08:26:18 pm by Walt-Dogg »
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810

Offline rot gut

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 08:13:18 pm »
18" deep cabs

Offline Walt-Dogg

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 08:25:33 pm »
Dang, really? I was thinking like an Orange cab and those are only 15'' deep.
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810

Offline Walt-Dogg

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 10:42:22 pm »
So if no one really has any opinions I'm just gonna close this since I don't come 'round here enough to bother checking something daily that I guess no gear heads really give a damn about.
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 11:56:26 pm »
I think there are two things that are  keeping people from responding. First, this is a pretty low traffic site, your post is only 3 days old. Secondly, "thicken"  may be a bit vague. Can you post examples of what you mean?
"Thick" IMO would either be a harmonically distorted signal lacking specific definition; or a defined, rich, and big soundstage on the mid heavy side tonally.
Either one would be more dependent on the signal going into the cab rather than the cab itself; post a link to an example of the tone you are looking for and maybe someone will answer with their ideas how to get there.

Offline Walt-Dogg

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 12:45:41 am »
I just want something that does what the Marshall 1982A doesn't do, but doesn't do everything that the '82A does. I need it do balance the sound, because (http://vitriolrecords.bandcamp.com/album/ghostlimb-infrastructure) is what I am aiming for, and to me it sounds very balanced. I can hear what I do have with my sound in those recordings but there is a lot of thickness I feel that I'm missing in my sound (basically looking for full-bodied tonal stopping power, the 1982A has it's share but I need MORE and of a different variety). I've seen Ghostlimb's guitar player live using the same gear from that band as in the other band I saw him in, very thick in sound (Orange Thunderverb and a Peavey 5150) I know I'm not using the same equipment but I'm not going for the same tone. My point is he was using straight cabs, and my Marshall is a slant equipped with what are essentially bass drivers in it for it's speakers (Celestion G100, there might be an H somewhere in the speaker to designate 'Heavy' for a bass spaker). I'm not gonna replace the Marshall altogether because it's a damn good cab and is worth more to me to keep than to sell to get another cab that I would still require a second cab to match to it. So all I want is anything; straight, 400 watts (preferable to match up with the Marshall being 400 watts), 16 ohms with parallel jacks. I don't care if it's new or if I have to find it used or if it's a special order. Also if anyone could suggest anything entirely different (6x10, 6x12, 2x15, etc.) as long as I can run it with my 1982A under prime conditions (16 ohms - 8 ohms parallel, ~400 watts) I'll consider it.

I hope that makes sense. I just rarely use my computer these days, and I don't want anyone to waste their time replying when I'll just forget about the post.
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 09:19:31 am »
I don't really follow your post, it doesn't really make a lot of sense to me. I don't understand what you are asking, so I'll mostly stick with the "thick" thing and the clip.

I do have some questions about your post though. What's a G100 with an H somewhere? A 100 watt G12H? I don't think a slant cab makes any difference, and why 400 watts?  :?

Anyway, the guitar sound on the clip mostly just sounds like a ton of gain to me. Almost "hair metal" gainy, all on the front end. Maybe a little phase shift ("thickening"?); a phaser/flanger pedal, low mid heavy, but mostly a real gainy, hot front end.
I think the bottom end is a bass just following the guitar, something I've noticed happens a lot in this type of music; no real defined parts, everybody just plays the same thing and sometimes that makes it difficult to tell what is what.
The player's technique seems not real controlled, a little loose, and I think that contributes also.

But overall I think it's more the technique/amps/effects than the speaker cabs getting that tone.

Offline Walt-Dogg

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 10:20:02 pm »
Yeah, saw that coming a mile away...

G12H-100 or something like that. I really should just open the darn cab up to be sure but I'm very busy these days. I've always known slant cabs to project a little better than straight cabs, but lack the same punch. 400 watts is for headroom, I don't want more distortion or crunch with the cab I'm planning on getting.

That's disappointing, I'm trying to go as raw and non-excessive in tone and distortion as possible. Definitely front end gain though, he's using a 200 watt Orange and a Peavey 5150 after all. Honestly to me everything sounds pretty defined, but I'm sure I've got an ear for the sound and I'm listening to those recordings on vinyl record with a nice Sony stereo.

Yeah, a big problem is a lack of time, and a whiny/sickly mother + insano neighbors. I rarely get to play and especially at the volumes I like (and my garage is 'proofed and dampened). That's sort of why I'm looking for just anything anyone likes that's "thick" in some way in reference to Ghostlimb's Infrastructure and what can compliment my rig, I can research my life away at work and late night, but being able to physically test things is a bunch more difficult.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 10:33:01 pm by Walt-Dogg »
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810

Offline rot gut

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 11:24:06 pm »
try a booster pedal.

Offline Walt-Dogg

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 11:33:51 pm »
There's a couple of E-H LPB-1s at my work, I've always liked those pedals even though I've never had one, maybe I'll give it a shot. But I do still want a cab since I more or less need it.
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 09:27:58 am »
try a booster pedal.

+1
That clip sounds hotter (gainier) than an Orange or even a 5150, if that's what he's using I'd say there's something in front of them. Have you ever tried a Krank? They are stupid gainy.
A nice pedal is probably your best bet to get the tone I hear on the clip you posted.

A supposed "defined" is a subjective term, and depends on what you are used to listening to. I think of defined tone as Dada or The Cowboy Junkies;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0VDkzzSekQ
Even at around 3:50 when the guitarist lights it up a little, the notes stay defined and tight; no place to hide "slop". If he pooches it, everybody knows!  :wink:

Of course it's all personal preference, and isn't "good" or "bad", but IMO the clip you posted is loose as a goose by comparison. Very forgiving when it comes to technique, probably intentionally sloppy and undefined to fit the genre.
Sort of like Black Sabbath was in the early days, or a Jimmy Page solo...  :roll:

Offline Walt-Dogg

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 07:42:08 pm »
I messed around with my RAT at low distortion levels and with my Super-Duper. I'm in the area I want to be, but it's only with less than half gain//volume going into my MIG with what was a dimed pre-amp volume now backed off. I'm thinking I can get something hotter in my pre-amp to get the level of punch I want because in downtuning, at least with my guitar it's such a loud signal coming from the axe I get a lot quicker clip in my signal so any added distortion just gives me fuzz, and I'd rather not use my RAT because of it's distortion's coloration and my Super-Duper is so clean and so powerful that it's just a way louder and//or distorted to hell and back. (depending on where my volume knobs are and anywhere past 12 o'clock is too much)

So hopefully that clears up why I'm looking for a 'thicker' sounding cab.
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810