Author Topic: univox sunn copy any good?  (Read 5288 times)

Offline lucifersam76

univox sunn copy any good?
« on: January 01, 2012, 01:51:53 pm »
has anybody seen the univox sunn copy? it kinda looks like a model t. I may buy this. it is $299. just wonder if anyones played it and how it sounds.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: univox sunn copy any good?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 02:29:40 pm »
You gotta post a pic of that. I'm not the ultimate Model T authority but I've never heard of an Univox Model T copy. It would be interesting to see!

Offline madaradio

Offline buzzsunn

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 01:05:31 pm »
100w with trem and rev... Not even close on a Model T.
The seller doesn't even refer to what tubes this amp has... :?
check and contribute: http://postyourrig.blogspot.com/

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 01:17:27 pm »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290652345239+

I'm about 99.95% sure that that is a Univox U-1221 (1969-1971) amp.

Rated @ 100 watts but most likely much closer to 45-50 watts with a pair of 6L6GC's, the U-1221 model did indeed copy the slanted control panel/front panel of the first generation single chassis Sunn tube amps, however any other similarity to the Oregon built amps pretty much ends there.

With a tube compliment of one 12AU7, a pair of 12AX7’s and a pair of 6AN8A’s (possibly 6AU8’s) in front of the already mentioned 6L6GC’s, it might be a bit of a stretch to compare that amp with any Sunn circuit I’m familiar with.

I’m thinking the seller on that auction may have taken some “liberties” in the description…

And of course, as far as the Univox being a “copy” of a Model T, that would be a pretty hard claim to substantiate considering the U-1221 predates the Model T by a few years!  :wink:

Although it's certainly not a Model T, as well as being masterful visual knock-off artists Univox also made some pretty cool stuff of their own, and IMO are/were a pretty good value both when new and on the vintage market.

Offline jaywalker

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 08:18:04 pm »
... similarity to the Oregon built amps pretty much ends there.

Univox also made some pretty cool stuff of their own, and IMO are/were a pretty good value both when new and on the vintage market.
There is one other similarity...the corner covers. I have a MIJ Univox ULM-6 which is single 6V6 kickazz amp w/10" speaker and it sports the same radiused metal corner covers as found on Sunn stuff. The op's amp corners look to be the same although they seem to come over a little bit more in the front (due to the thinner cab material??). Some of the later Uni's are said to be made in the US. Their output claims were probably fudged a bit by the marketing dept. but I agree with EdBass; good value.