Author Topic: What's next?  (Read 6604 times)

Offline pickinatit

Re: What's next?
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 10:18:09 am »
A true collector wouldn't be taking his collectible gear out for a casual gig. It might get scratched. That would reduce the value, and a collector can't abide that.

Maybe so.  But that sort of proves my point.  I  "collect" Sunn equipment, but I collect it to PLAY it.    Part of the point for me....I'll call it....GATHERING  (instead of collecting)  Sunn gear is to get it out to show off  it's great sound/appearance...to share it with the public.
I'm not going to cry if it obtains a little more mojo in the process (gets scuffed or scratched so I guess I'm not a true collector in the strict sense of the word (by Isaac's I think tongue in cheek definition).

Offline george

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 05:16:25 pm »

Then what's your point?  Why don't you just go to the hardware store and buy what you want? No one is going to sell and vintage Sunn equipment at a cheap price.  If you want an original, you're going to have to pay for it...otherwise build it yourself or do without until you happen to find a real deal.

Man I must be on another planet - I'm not trying to get Sunn gear "at a cheap price". I already have a garage full of it and have repaired several garages full for others. I guess you don't care to replace worn out 40 year old electrical components or hardware on your gear with OEM (that's original equipment manufacturer) stock for less than the junk people are selling on ePay???? 

The Carling switches are a drop in replacement - no modification needed - have saved at least a dozen customer amps from butch replacement jobs. I have about a dozen in stock including the white ones. They look stock because they are stock. You need to do your research before you comment.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010, 07:15:04 pm »
A true collector wouldn't be taking his collectible gear out for a casual gig. It might get scratched. That would reduce the value, and a collector can't abide that.

Maybe so.  But that sort of proves my point.  I  "collect" Sunn equipment, but I collect it to PLAY it.    Part of the point for me....I'll call it....GATHERING  (instead of collecting)  Sunn gear is to get it out to show off  it's great sound/appearance...to share it with the public.
I'm not going to cry if it obtains a little more mojo in the process (gets scuffed or scratched so I guess I'm not a true collector in the strict sense of the word (by Isaac's I think tongue in cheek definition).

Not really tongue in cheek at all. It's analogous to a wine collector. A wine collector might drink wine, in fact probably does, but the wines that form his collection are never opened, never consumed. Wine collectors worldwide were shocked recently when a man bought a very old bottle of wine with the intent to drink it.

Similarly, while a car collector might take a car of his out for a drive on occasion - and I mean that literally, it has to be an occasion for him to take it out - he isn't going to be driving it to work. That doesn't mean that he doesn't drive another car.

I have quite a few pieces of gear, but none that I wouldn't take to a gig for fear of getting another ding or two. I'm not a collector. Doesn't sound to me as though you are, either.
Isaac

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2010, 10:55:28 am »
The Carling switches are a drop in replacement - no modification needed -

What is the model #?  :?

Offline george

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2010, 10:40:01 pm »
LTILA50-1L-BL-RC-NBL/125N

You should go to the Carling site and familarize yourself with their part number scheme - I'm not going to do that. This is one of three Carling type numbers I have bought from Allied. Yes there is a MOQ and yes I still have Rogan knobs.

Offline rot gut

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 12:15:55 am »
I'd be interested to know where I can get the cord wrap that's on the bottom of the concert bass heads.

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 05:40:36 am »

I have quite a few pieces of gear, but none that I wouldn't take to a gig for fear of getting another ding or two. I'm not a collector. Doesn't sound to me as though you are, either.

Ha Ha, You might have a point. I am probably somewhere between the collector and player...sort of in the category of that car collector that takes his vintage auto. out on an "occasion"  since I don't really gig on a very regular basis, but take the Sunn gear out when I do.  I also use my Sunn gear every week to jam/practice/rehearse with the guys that I play with.   I guess from now on I'll just refer to myself as a "Sunn Equipment Gatherer".

apologies for sidetracking on someone else's thread  BTW.  We now return control of this "broadcast" to your local network.  LOL