Author Topic: 2000s question  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Mega Elk

2000s question
« on: January 23, 2009, 10:15:19 am »
Hello!

Can someone tell me what the function of the two small tubes on the left in the pic?  I have seen several 2000s without these two but with the remaining four big tubes.

Offline fender_bender

Re: 2000s question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 10:39:07 am »
those are rectifier tubes. how many watts are your versions with the rectifier tubes I guess the same as the 1200s 120 watts.

Do you own any with the solid state rectifier, the version without the two extra tubes, I used to think they were all 200 watts  but definitel not with two rectifiers and the solid state rec tifier might be 200 watts because with four 6550 tubes that's 200 watts of power tube power but obviously the amp with two rec tubes weren't designed to be 200 watts.

Offline Mega Elk

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 11:58:23 am »
but obviously the amp with two rec tubes weren't designed to be 200 watts.

Interesting.  Can you explain that a bit further?

Thanks,Tim

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 06:23:33 pm »
The 2000S with tube GZ34 rectifier tubes was rated at 120 watts RMS, and it was actually a bit more than that...more like 140 watts. If you replace the tube rectifiers with solid state diodes, then the amp is rated at 150 watts RMS, but again, its a bit more than that...more like 170 watts or so. The solid state rectifiers are more efficient at converting the AC to DC and don't lose as much voltage from the B+ when they do this, so you end up with more voltage at the tubes, which means more power. They went to solid state rectifiers instead of the tubes for a number of reasons......less cost, more reliability, more power, less heat. Even when they had the 2000S model that came with solid state rectifiers, it still came equipped with tube sockets for the GZ34's for awhile.

The sound is slightly different between the two models, as is the feel. The solid state one will have a slightly quicker bass response, and the highs will be just a tad more present due to the higher voltages in the amp. It can be modified either way though so its not a big deal.

Greg