Author Topic: Model T questions pic are up  (Read 2819 times)

Offline carnygoat

Model T questions pic are up
« on: March 12, 2009, 05:49:06 pm »
I just got a 73 Model T, it sounds great, but I was wondering what the knob on the back next to the impedance switch is for? I was thinking it was a knob put in place of where the line out jack was, but there is no writing on the back, it all has faded in time.

any help?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 02:52:29 pm by carnygoat »

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Model T questions
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 06:33:41 pm »
My Model T is many miles away, but IIRC it's the hum balance knob.
Isaac

Offline carnygoat

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 02:32:26 pm »
hmm, ok, cool! appreciate that

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 03:47:43 pm »
The Hum balance pot is topside between the back two 6550's. Must be a mod of some kind. Does it do anything?

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 10:46:24 am »
You're quite right, thud. I just looked on the back of mine, and there's no extra knob there at all. Just the impedance selector switch.
Isaac

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 11:19:58 am »
I was sort of confused as well.  I thought maybe it was a later model, but maybe a picture of the chassis would help?

The hum balance adjustment is between the two rear 6550s, so I'm interested in whether or not this mode T has the hum balance placed there.
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline carnygoat

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 06:05:28 pm »
I'll try to put up a pic soon, but it does have the Hum adjustment inside between the tubes like stated above, the knob is in the same place the line out would be, I bought this and the outside has been totally changed so it doesn't look like a Model T, but the stamp on the chassis says Model T, and the date is 7/??/73 you can barely see the writing on the back but it is for sure a Model T, also when I adjust the knob it doesn't seem to do anything, although I have limited time messing with it so far, tomorrow I will and see if I can get some pics, also I have some questions on the inside so maybe some of you experts can help me out to see what has been done to it if anything.

Offline carnygoat

Re: Model T questions pics are up
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 02:45:06 pm »
Hey for any tech heads on here, trying to figure out the mod or whatever is happening inside here, the knob on the back doesn' seem to do anything, as far as i've noticed at least in sound, haven't thoroughly tested it yet, just wondering if you all could look at these pics and see what the deal is with it, if there are any mods you can notice.

here are the pics:

http://s543.photobucket.com/albums/gg480/carnygoat/Model%20T/?action=view&current=HPIM2392.jpg
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 01:49:25 am by tboy »

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
Re: Model T questions pic are up
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 05:45:52 pm »
The hole used was the line out. The pot is wired in series with the feedback so turning the knob will reduce the feedback.

Offline carnygoat

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 05:51:14 pm »
Oh cool! I suppose that isn't such a bad mod to have, lol.

can you see the pic 7 at the top with the big white capacitor the right hand side connection is broken, is this normal, or should I have it re-established. i am by no means very good with this stuff, but just wondering if it is an issue I should look into?

thanks for the response to the other Q? 

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 07:29:54 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean by big white capacitor. There is an odd looking resistor by one of the 6550 sockets. It's not original. It looks like the tube socket is damaged (pin 3 broken off) and needs to be replaced. It will burn up any tube that's installed there for very long.

Your amp has been re-capped by someone that didn't do a very good job. It needs to go to a tech that can put it back to stock with the correct parts. It will sound much better. What city are you in/near?

Offline carnygoat

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 07:38:23 pm »
Hi,

I'm not a tech by all means, actually I barely know anything about electronics, I just know i love the sound of SUNN amps, but anyway, yeah I am talking about that big weird white thing, when I got it one of the pins holders from the tube socket was attached to the tube, but it went back in, not sure if that messed it up.

I am in San Francisco CA, I don't have a proper tech yet, but need one, I want this baby and everything to last in it, it sounds great and if it can sound better, cool!

let me know if you know of a good tech around here.

best

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 04:34:52 pm »
I'm in SF and my goto tech is Hal @ GUITRONICS.
he has worked on all my SUNN  amps forever.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/guitronics-san-francisco
tell him 'stan sent you!'
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline carnygoat

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 05:11:25 pm »
hey thanks, I'll check him out