Author Topic: Mystery Sunn Cabinet  (Read 3033 times)

Offline d brown

Mystery Sunn Cabinet
« on: August 15, 2001, 05:53:00 pm »
Dear Folks;
      I have been given a Sunn cabinet from the estate of someone, and would like to use. Heaven knows the previous owner did. The writing on the back is too faded to read for the most part, but here's what I've got.

This is a sort of folded cabinet. It has black speaker grill covers, a red Sunn logo. The bottom speaker is about 15", the top has a 6" speaker, and either an empty hole or some sort of tweeter in it. There's 2 handles, 1 on each side.

On the back are 4 1/4" sockets. The bottom 2 are labelled HF, and Lo. The top 2 were labelled at one time, but are too worn to make out. Frustratingly enough, they indicate the ohms for the inputs. I have 2 questions;
1) what ohm values do the 4 outputs have, and
2) how many watts can they stand?

I really don't want to sell this, I just want to use it in the band. If you know what I've got, and have the answers to the above questions, drop me a line.
Thanks.
/db

Offline Don T.

Mystery Sunn Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2001, 09:35:00 am »
Hello:
 What you have there is the 1984 version of a model 9. The 6" speaker is prone to thermal failure. It used an 81-0568 15" driver for lows an 81-0096 6" midrange and a piezo tweet. It had an internal X-over (8ohm load) and could be biamped. I will assume the cabinet is covered with black vinyl laminate and weighs a ton cuz' it's made out of particle board.
Don T.
Don T.

If it's too loud, you're too old.

Offline d brown

Mystery Sunn Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2001, 06:34:00 pm »
Thanks for the answer folks. Sysadmin, you can delete this message now.
/db

Offline sunn

Mystery Sunn Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2001, 12:40:00 am »
I'll leave it up, it might help someone else...